Bitter Melon not only provides Health Benefits for adults but also for Kids . Offer in small quantities with steamed rice or phulka or Plain paratha . They will develop the taste as they grow. Bitter melon not only provides fiber but good source of Vitamin K ( Contributes to Blood clotting and Bone Health) . Reduces the possibility of getting infections and prevents food allergies . Carbohydrates turns into sugar and Bitter Melon metabolizes the sugar . The bitterness and toxicity can be reduced by Soaking or Boiling. Check the Recipe for Soaking Tip as Ididn’t Scrape the Outer Skin and didn’t remove the seeds . The Tip is Soaking of Karela which reduce the Bitterness and softens the Karela which helps in cooking with less Oil . Healthy vegetable for Diabetics but deep frying will spike Blood Sugars . Try to cook with minimum Oil and avoid Tamaring and Jaggery . Pan fry and add spice powder and squeeze Juice of Lime.
NOTE : Try to pick Medium , thin Karela for recipe . If the Curry still taste bitter try to add little more spice powder and Jaggery . Serve with Steamed Rice. Even though it is Healthy eat in moderation . Eat to 4 to 5 times in a month.
Recipe for 2 to 3 People.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
1. Karela or Bitter Gourd -4 ( Cut into Circles)
2. Onion – 1 Big Chopped
3. Jaggery – 1 Block ( Half for Soaking Karela and Half for Cooking)
4. Tamarind – Lime size ( Half for Soaking and Half for Cooking) ( Soak in Separate Bowls)
5. Yogurt or Curd – 1/4 th Cup ( For Soaking not for Cooking)
6 Turmeric – 1/2 and 1/2 for Soaking and Cooking
7. Red chilli Powder – 1 tbsp.
8. Coriander and Cumin Powder – 1/2 tbsp. each
9. Oil – 4 tbsp. and Cumin seeds
10. Curry Leaves and Coriander Leaves
Mix 1/4 th Cup Of Yogurt , Tamarind Juice, Jaggery Powder, Little Salt, and 1/2 tbsp. Turmeric Powder.Soak Karela in the Yogurt Mixture for an Hour. Mix in Between .After an Hour Discard the Yogurt Mixture.Don’t Squeeze the Karela.
1. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil in a Non Stick Pan and Place the Karela in a single Layer and Cook for 5 Minutes on Both sides.Once they are Browned , transfer to a Bowl.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Saute finely Chopped Onions with little Salt, Cumin seeds, Turmeric and Curry Leaves.
3. Once Onions are Fried add Tamarind Juice, Jaggery Powder, Red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder. Mix well and Cook for 5 Minutes.
4. After 5 minutes Switch off the Stove and add Karela pieces. Mix and rest it for 10 minutes before you Serve. So all flavors will blend in.
5. Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves.
ENJOY with Steamed Rice of your Choice or Plain Paratha.
1. Don’t Scrape the Skin or remove the seeds.
2. Discard the Soaking Liquid . Do not reuse it.
3. Pan Fry Bitter Gourd Pieces in Single Layer.
4. Stays good in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
5. Do not Skip Tamarind and Jaggery .These two ingredients are highlight for the recipe along with Spices.