Karela or Bitter Gourd is a Unique vegetable fruit that can be used as food or medicine. It is one of the popular edible pod vegetable in many Asian countries . I t is grown widely as backyard vegetable or as a field crop. Good source of Vitamin C and pods are rich source of Phytonutrients like dietary fiber. Very less in Calories just 17 calories per 100 grams. Some people may not like it because of its bitter taste but good source of disease preventing and Health promoting Phytochemicals compounds. According to some Clinical studies Polypeptide, Charantin, Vicine present in it are believed to help in maintaining normal Blood glucose.Outer skin and seeds are discarded due to alkaloid content but can be enjoyed by marinating which reduces the bitterness of Bitter Melon . Discard the marinade liquid. Source : Health magazines
Bitter Gourd or Karela is the most bitter tasting but still tasty and Healthy vegetable if cooked with right ingredients. Today I’m sharing Stuffed Karela recipe with Soaking tip . Soaking of Karela reduces the bitterness and Cooks fast without deep frying. You are going to like the Stuffing I’m sharing prepared with Peanuts, Spices. and RAW MANGO . Adding RAW MANGO makes it delicious and tasty with a hint of Sourness . Roast the spices until the shade of light brown and the Spices releases an aroma which doesn’t need to be cooked further. When pan frying Karela don’t over crowd the Pan . Pan fry in a single layer . Cook on Medium heat with Lid closed . Toss in between to avoid burning.If it still taste bitter Squeeze Juice of Lime and Sprinkle some more Spice powder( Curry powder) and Salt. Hope you will like the recipe . Try and share your feedback.
CHECK THE RECIPE FOR SOAKING TIP.
RECIPE FOR 3 TO 4 PEOPLE.
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME : 30 MINUTES
1.Karela – 4 ( Cut into Half and make a slit in the Middle for Stuffing) or 8 medium thin Karela .
2.Onion – Medium ( Chopped)
3. Juice of Lime -1
4. Salt accordingly
5. Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp.
6. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Seasoning – Urad dal – 1 tbsp., Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp. , Mustard seeds – Half tbsp.
8. Curry leaves and Coriander leaves
9. Tamarind ( lemon size) – Soak in Water
10. Butter Milk – 1 Cup
11. Grated RAW MANGO – 1/4 TH CUP
Soak lemon size tamarind in warm water . Extract the tamarind pulp. Add Salt , turmeric and Butter Milk to Tamarind Extract. Mix well . Soak the BITTER GOURD( Karela) pieces for 1 hour ( 2 Hours also fine) toss in between and MICROWAVE before cooking or SOAK OVERNIGHT in REFRIGERATOR . This Soaking will soften the Bitter Gourd and Cooks fast with minimum oil.
Dry roast HALF cup PEANUTS . When Peanuts are 3/4 th roasted add 3 tbsp. WHITE SESAME SEEDS, 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds, 1 tbsp. Coriander seeds, HALF tbsp. Mustard seeds and few Fenugreek seeds.Cool the Spices and Grind with Handful DRY COCONUT , 2 CLOVES GARLIC, 1 tbsp. RED CHILLI POWDER.
1. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Urad dal and Curry Leaves.Saute finely chopped Onions with little Salt and Turmeric.
2. Once ONIONS are fried , transfer to Bowl and Cool it. Add the Spice Powder and 1/4 th cup GRATED RAW MANGO or Mango powder or Juice of Lime . Mix well. Check for Salt and add accordingly.
3. In the Same Pan Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Place the Karela Pieces in a Single Layer . ( Discard the Soaked Butter Milk). Don’t Squeeze the BITTER GOURD. Add 1 more tbsp. OIL . Cover with Lid and Cook . Flip in between 2 to 3 times . Check with Knife whether they are Cooked. Cook on Medium High Flame until light brown .
4. Cool the Bitter Gourd Pieces and Stuff with the Peanut and Onion Mixture.Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves.
Enjoy with Steamed Rice or Plain Paratha or Phulka.
NOTE: After Switching off the Stove Squeeze Juice Of Half Lime and Sprinkle some SALT and SUGAR. If KARELA is still Bitter.