Vegetable Idli Upma Idli is a traditional breakfast in Indian households. They are made by steaming a batter prepared with lentils and Idli rava or Idli rice , fermented and steamed. For preparing Idli’s we need Urad dal ( 1 part) and Idli rava( 2 parts) . Soaked separately for 3 to 4 Hours . Once Soaking is done the dal is ground to fine paste and mixed with idli rava ( Wash Idli rava 3 to 4 times and squeeze out water and add to the ground dal) . This batter is fermented overnight and steamed for 12 to 13 minutes using Idli moulds. Since Idli’s are mild in taste they are served with Chutney, Sambar or Podi . If any leftover Idli’s or try to cook extra Idli’s to prepare Upma which is loaded with vegetables and tangy in taste.
Fermented foods are predigested by bacteria and hence easier to digest . Also lactic acid and enzymes formed during the fermentation process aids in digestion especially protein digestion. Lactic acid formed during fermentation not only preserve the food but also promotes the growth of a Healthy intestinal flora.
Upma can be prepared with Sooji , Vermicelli , Poha . Today i’m sharing a different version of Upma with Idli’s. This Upma taste good even at room temperature and you can pack for Kids Lunch Box. I always have leftover Idli’s . I prepare extra Idli’s so I can use for Lunch or Kids Lunch Box . My kids like this variety of Upma as it is tangy and they like to Pick Peanuts in between . It is loaded with Vegetables and complete One pot Meal if you serve with fruit and Milk or Yogurt.
What I love about this Upma is it is tasty , nutritious and easy to prepare in no time . Enjoy on its Own without any Chutney. Prepare Idli’s ahead of time and chop vegetables and refrigerate . Dry roast Peanuts and store in a box along with tadka or seasoning Ingredients.
ENJOY for Breakfast/ Lunch/ Dinner / Kids Lunch Box
RECIPE FOR 2 PEOPLE
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME: 30 Minutes
1.Idli – 4
2.Onion – Half Cup ( Finely Chopped)
3.Vegetables – 1 Cup ( Finely Chopped Green Beans, Carrots ,Peas and Corn)
4. Green Chillies -2 ( Chopped , Mild Spicy) , Chopped ginger – 2 tbsp
5.Roasted Peanuts – 1/4 th Cup
6. Juice of Lime – Half
7. Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp.
9. Curry Leaves and Coriander Leaves
10. Seasoning – Urad dal – 2 tbsp. , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. , Mustard seeds- 1 tbsp. Red chillies – 2 ( Break into 4)
1. Crumble Idli’s. Dry roast Peanuts.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds, Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Red chillies and Curry Leaves.
3.Add Onions and Finely Chopped Vegetables. Cook uncover So the Vegetables will be Crunchy. Season with Salt .
4. Once Vegetables are Cooked add CRUMBLED IDLI , chopped Green chillies., Chopped Ginger , Roasted peanuts or Cashews and finely chopped Coriander leaves . Mix gently .
5. Squeeze Juice of Half LIME. Check for SALT and adjust accordingly.