Tindora is a green Vegetable cultivated in countries like tropical Africa/ Malaysia and other south eastern Asian countries and China. It is popular in many parts of India and is known by different names like Ivy gourd , Tondli, Parwal and Kundru . As they age they take red in color and are not supposed to eat .Select Medium and thin Tindora for stir fries or stuffed . It is a very delicate vegetable and Cooks fast . Cook Until it is soft and tender .
Today I’ m sharing a stir fry with Tindora and Black Channa . it is a two step cooking so the vegetable won’t be overcooked and holds the shape. I have used simple Spice powder which will not overpower the vegetable and you can taste the vegetable. Grind the Onions for extra flavor and taste. Black Channa adds protein when served with Steamed Rice or Plain Paratha and will be a Balanced Meal if served with raita and Papad.
Recipe for 4 People.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
1.Tindora – 30 ( Wash and Cut length Wise into 4)
2.Onion – 1 Big ( Grind Coarsely)
3. Black Channa Dal – 1/4 th Cup ( Soak Over night and Pressure Cook in the Morning with Little Salt and Water or in the Microwave for 5 Minutes with Little Water and Salt)
4. Oil – 4 tbsp.
5. Salt accordingly
6. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Cumin Seeds- 1 tbsp.
8. Curry Leaves and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
9. Juice of Lime – Half
Grind 1 tbsp. Red chilli Powder, 1/2 tbsp. Cumin Powder, 1/2 tbsp,1/2 tbsp Fenu greek Powder , 4 Cloves of Garlic , Curry Leaves -5 and Handful of Dry Coconut Powder.
1. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and Cook Tindora with Little Salt. Cook on Medium High with Lid Closed. Stir in Between gently. Once the Tindora is soft Keep the Lid Half Open and fry till Brown. Once the Tindora is Brown transfer to a Bowl.
2.Heat 1 tbsp Oil in the Same Pan and Saute Coarsely grinded Onion with little Salt, Cumin seeds and Turmeric.
3. Once Onions are Brown add Spice Powder and One More tbsp Oil and fry Spice Powder for few Seconds.
4. Switch Off the stove and add cooked Black Channa . Mix well and add Cooked Tindora.
5. Squeeze Juice of Half Lime , Garam Masala and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .
ENJOY with STEAMED RICE or PLAIN PARATHA.