Brown Sooji Roti with Raw tomato Chutney. I was looking for a different roti recipe to serve with Tomato Chutney which will be soft and came across this recipe. Tried my own. As i’m not able to make roti with just cooked sooji I added some wheat flour and Grated carrot . To get thin and even roti I took the help of Ziplock and round Bowl. They will be soft even at room temperature . No need to reheat . Lunch Box recipe .Here is a simple recipe for Brown Sooji roti and Raw Tomato Chutney.
Recipe for 13 Medium Size Roti’s.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes.
1. Brown Sooji – 1 Cup or Sooji ( semolina) or roasted Upma mix
2. Water – 2 Cups
3.Baby Carrots – 10 ( Grated)
4. Salt as per taste
5. Oil – 1 tbsp.
6. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
7. Whole Wheat Flour – 1 /2 Cup or accordingly
1.In a heavy Bottom Pot, Heat 2 cups of Water .Cook to a Rapid Boil by adding Little Salt and 1 tbsp. Oil.
Once it started boiling add Semolina ,Grated Carrots and Cumin seeds. Keep stirring Vigorously to avoid Lumps.
Keep Stirring till it forms like a dough. Switch off the stove and transfer to a wide Plate or Bowl for Cooling.
2. Once the dough is cooled add Whole wheat Flour , little Oil and start Kneading like Dough.
Knead the dough till nice ,soft and Smooth.
Divide the dough into 13 balls.
3.Cut the Sides of a Ziplock Cover . Place the dough ball inside the Ziplock Cover and Press with a round Bowl.
So you can get thin and round Roti’s.
Heat a Non stick Pan on a Medium Heat and start frying roti’s by applying light Oil on both sides.
Fry the Roti’s on a Medium Heat.
ENJOY Sooji Roti’s with Raw Tomato Chutney.
Ingredients and Method:
1. Green Tomato’s – 6 Medium Size
2.Urad dal – 2 tbsp.
3. Channa Dal – 2 tbsp.
4. White Sesame seeds- 3 tbsp.
5. Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
6. Fenu greek seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
7. Green Chillies – 4 ( Mild Spicy)
8. Tamarind – Marble Size
9. Salt to taste
10. Oil – 3 tbsp.
11.Garlic Cloves – 4
12. Turmeric – 4 Cloves
13. Curry Leaves and Coriander Leaves.
14. Hing or Asafotedia – A pinch
15. Jaggery – Small Piece ( Optional)
1. Dry roast Urad Dal , Channa Dal , Mustard seeds, Fenugreek seeds and Sesame seeds. Cool them and Grind it into a Fine Powder with Tamarind and transfer to a Bowl.
2. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Cook Raw Tomato’s with Green Chillies, Little Salt , Turmeric and Garlic Cloves.
Note : You can add Raw Garlic or Cook Garlic along with Tomatoes.
Once the Tomato’s are cooked , Cool them and Grind with little Jaggery. Grind Coarsely.
Mix Spice Powder with Coarsely Grinded tomato’s.
3. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds , Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Red chillies, Hing , Curry leaves and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves.
Add the Seasoning to the Chutney and Mix well.
ENJOY the Raw Tomato Chutney with Sooji Roti.