Idli is a traditional South Indian Breakfast recipe prepared with Fermented batter( Soak Urad Dal overnight or for 3 to 4 Hours and mixed with Idli rava . Idli rava is also soaked for Couple of Hours. Grind Urad dal . Wash Idli rava and squeeze out water and mix with Urad dal batter and ferment Overnight) . If you want a change from regular plain idli then try my Stuffed idli’s. Tried with a different stuffing. It is a delicious and filling for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. These idli’s are packed with flavor and are melt in mouth if you have a good fermented batter. Dunk these stuffed Idli’s in Coconut raita prepared with fresh Coconut , Yogurt , Spices and seasoned with Cumin seeds and Broken red chillies. These Stuffed Idli’s with Coconut raita is a hit with my kids. Coconut raita is the perfect combination for these Idli’s .
Fermented foods are foods that have been through a process of lacto fermentation in which natural beneficial bacteria found on the starch and sugar on the food creating lactic acid . Lactic acid – producing bacteria are common in probiotic supplements which is why traditional fermented foods are also known as probiotic foods. Lactic acid producing bacteria helps acidify the digestive tract creating an environment conducive to the growth of all Healthy bacteria. A recent study found a link between diary intake and risk of high Blood pressure . People who eat 2 – 3 servings of Low fat diary have less risk of developing High Blood pressure. Source : Health Magazines .
Here is the recipe for Stuffed Idli and Coconut Raita.
1. Idli Batter – Fermented ( Soak 1/2 cup Urad dal , 1/4 th cup Channa dal, Green Moong dal , Yellow moong dal each and 1 cup Brown Basmati rice. Grind and ferment overnight)
2. Channa Dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Green Chillies – 2
5. Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp.
6. Oil for Greasing Idli Plates.
7. Vegetables – 1 Cup ( Finely Chopped)
8.Finely Chopped Coriander (Optional)
9. Bioled and Crumbled Potato
FOR STUFFING :
Soak Half Cup Channa Dal for an Hour . Wash and Grind with 2 Green Chillies, little Salt and Cumin seeds with very little Water.
You can Grind Coarsely or to a Fine Paste. Mix Vegetables , Crumbled Potato and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves. Check for salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . I just added Green chillies . You can add spices of your choice like roasted Cumin powder and red chilli Powder .
1. Grease Idli Plates with little Oil .
2. Pour 1 tbsp. Idli Batter followed by 1 tbsp. Channa Dal Vegetable Mixture . Wet your Fingers and Spread the Mixture Evenly. Cover with One more tbsp. Idli Batter.
3. Fill all the Idli Plates.
4. Steam for 12 Minutes without Pressure.
5. When Pressure Comes down take out Idli Plates and remove Idli’s with Wet Spoon.
RECIPE for Coconut Raita:
Grind Handful of fresh Coconut with 2 Green Chillies and Salt . Mix with One Big Cup Of Yogurt .Add Tadka ( Seasoning ) with Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Urad dal , Red Chillies , Curry Leaves with 2 tbsp. Oil. Mix well and check for Salt and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves.