Idli is a traditional South Indian Breakfast recipe prepared with Fermented batter( Soak Urad Dal overnight or for 3 to 4 Hours and mixed with Idli rava . Idli rava is also soaked for Couple of Hours. Grind Urad dal . Wash Idli rava and squeeze out water and mix with Urad dal batter and ferment Overnight) . If you want a change from regular plain idli then try my Stuffed idli’s. Tried with a different stuffing. It is a delicious and filling for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. These idli’s are packed with flavor and are melt in mouth if you have a good fermented batter. Dunk these stuffed Idli’s in Coconut raita prepared with fresh Coconut , Yogurt , Spices and seasoned with Cumin seeds and Broken red chillies. These Stuffed Idli’s with Coconut raita is a hit with my kids. Coconut raita is the perfect combination for these Idli’s .
Fermented foods are foods that have been through a process of lacto fermentation in which natural beneficial bacteria found on the starch and sugar on the food creating lactic acid . Lactic acid – producing bacteria are common in probiotic supplements which is why traditional fermented foods are also known as probiotic foods. Lactic acid producing bacteria helps acidify the digestive tract creating an environment conducive to the growth of all Healthy bacteria. A recent study found a link between diary intake and risk of high Blood pressure . People who eat 2 – 3 servings of Low fat diary have less risk of developing High Blood pressure. Source : HM .
Here is the recipe for Stuffed Idli and Coconut Raita.
1. Idli Batter – Fermented ( Soak 1/2 cup Urad dal , 1/4 th cup Channa dal, Green Moong dal , Yellow moong dal each and 1 cup Brown Basmati rice. Grind and ferment overnight) .
OR Just soak One cup urad dal and One cup Brown Basmati rice with fenugreek seeds . Soak for couple of hours , Grind and Ferment .
2. Channa Dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Green Chillies – 2, SMALL PIECE OF GINGER
5. Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp.
6. Oil for Greasing Idli Plates.
7. grated Vegetables of your choice – 1 Cup ( Finely Chopped)
8.Finely Chopped Coriander (Optional)
9. Boiled and Crumbled Potato ( In microwave short cut method – Wrap in a wet paper towel and Microwave for 3 minutes( 1 +1 + 1) . stop for every minute)
FOR STUFFING :
Soak Half Cup Channa Dal for an Hour . Wash and Grind with 2 Green Chillies, Ginger , little Saltand Cumin seeds .
You can Grind Coarsely or to a Fine Paste. Mix Vegetables , Crumbled Potato and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves. Check for salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . I just added Green chillies . You can add spices of your choice.
1. Grease Idli Plates with little Oil .
2. Pour 1 tbsp. Idli Batter followed by 3 tbsp. Channa Dal Vegetable Mixture . Wet your Fingers and Spread the Mixture Evenly. Cover with One more tbsp. Idli Batter.
3. Fill all the Idli Plates.
4. Steam for 12 Minutes without Pressure.
5. When Pressure Comes down take out Idli Plates and remove Idli’s with Wet Spoon.
RECIPE for Coconut Raita:
Grind Handful of fresh Coconut with 2 Green Chillies , small piece of ginger and Salt . Mix with Yogurt .Add Tadka ( Seasoning ) with Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Urad dal , Red Chillies , Curry Leaves with 1 tbsp. Oil. Cool and add to yogurt . Mix well and check for Salt and add accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves.