Gongura is a Plant grown for its edible Leaves in India. Gongura is popular in some states. In Marathi it is called Ambaadi , Gongura in Andhra , Pitwaa in Hindi, Kenaf leaves in English , Chin Baung in Chinese , Pandil Pundi in Kannada. It is a Summer crop and hotter the place , the more sour the leaf gets . It comes in 2 Varities . Green stemmed leaf and Red stemmed . The red stemmed variety is more sour than green stemmed variety. A baby gongura leaf is a full leaf . As the leaf grows older , the leaf splits into four or more parts.
We can prepare many variety of Pickles and Curries with Gongura. Rich source of Iron , Vitamins, folic acid and anti oxidants essential for human nutrition.
The Gongura Curry or Pickle I’m sharing can be stored for 3 to 4 days in refrigerator. Wash 4 to 5 times and dry leaves for an Hour or so and the Pickle or Curry or Chutney wont get Spoiled. No need to add tamarind or Lime as I prepared with red stemmed leaves which is more tangy. it is a simple and tasty recipe that I prepared with 5 main Ingredients Gongura , Big Onion, Garlic , Channa dal and Home made or store bought Curry Powder . One thing you have to remember is frying Onions till brown and cooking the leaves till dry on medium high heat and adding sufficient OIL and CURRY POWDER. Source : Health Magazines. Serve with Steamed Rice and Tomato Dal or Steamed Rice and Chutney Powder or Curd Rice or as a side for Lunch/Dinner.
Recipe for 4 People.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
1. Gongura – One Bunch
2. Channa Dal – 1/2 cup( soak for an Hour)
3.Very Big Onion – 1 ( Finely Chopped)
4. Garlic Cloves – 8 Cloves( Crushed)
5. Oil – 4 to 6 tbsp.
6. Red Chilli Powder – 1 to 2 tbsp. ( Depending on the Tanginess of Gongura )
7. Cumin and Coriander Powder – 1/2 tbsp. each
8.Fenugreek Powder n Mustard Powder – 1/4 th tbsp. or Homemade Curry Powder – 2 tbsp.
9.Green Chillies – 6 ( Mild Spicy)
10. Seasoning – Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbsp. each , Red chillies -2
11. Hing or Asafotedia – Pinch
12. Curry Leaves – 6 to 7
13. Turmeric – 1/4 tbsp.
1. Wash Gongura Leaves 4 to 5 times. Drain out all water ( Very Important , otherwise it will get Soggy). Air dry for Half Hour for fast cooking. Chop the Leaves.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil . Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Urad dal , Red chillies, Hing, Curry Leaves and Green Chillies(6). Add Onions , Channa Dal ,little Salt , Turmeric and Crushed Garlic. Cover with lid and Cook for 3 minutes . After 3 minutes uncover and cook Onions till Brown .
3. Once the Onions are Brown add Gongura leaves and 2 tbsp. Oil . Cover with Lid and Cook for 5 Minutes.Mix in between to avoid Burning.
4. Once the leaves are soft , remove the Lid and Cook till Water or Moisture Evaporates. It will take about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. Switch off the Stove and add 2 more tbsp. Oil, Red chilli Powder,Coriander n Cumin Powder, Fenugreek Powder, Mustard Powder( Home made Curry Powder with Garlic and Coriander Leaves) . Mix Gently.
Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly.