Pan fried Stuffed Karela (Bitter Gourd) with Soaking Tip.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
Check for another Soaking and Cooking Tip.
1.Karela – 6 (Long Medium thick Ones)
2.Tamarind – Marble size
3.Potato’s – 3
4. Onion – 1(Medium size chopped)
5.Oil – 4 tbsp. ( 2 tbsp. for Potato Curry and 2 tbsp. for frying Karela)
6.Salt as per taste
7. Curry leaves and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
8.Seasoning – 1 tbsp. Urad dal, Half tbsp. Cumin and Mustard seeds and Red chillies-2
9.Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp. ( Blend of Red chilli Powder , Coriander and cumin Powder , Garlic and Coriander Leaves with stem )
10 Dry Mango Powder or MTR Puligore Powder or Juice of Half Lime
11.Sugar – 1 tbsp. and Juice of Lime – Half
Soak Tamarind in Water. Squeeze Juice of Tamarind and add Salt and Turmeric.
Make a slit in the Middle of Karela. Rub Karela with Salt and Pour Tamarind juice in the Slit of each and every Karela and the rest on the top of the Bitter Gourd. Leave on the Kitchen Counter for Couple of Hours. Toss them for every 30 Minutes. This Soaking will soften Karela and Cooks fast with Less Oil and reduce Bitterness at the Same time.
Meanwhile boil Potato’s in Microwave or in Pressure Cooker . Cool them . Peel the Skin and Crumble the Potato’s. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Saute Onions with Cumin seeds,Crushed Garlic , Salt , Turmeric and Curry Leaves. Once Onions are brown add Cooked and Crumbled Potato. Add 1/2 tbsp. Curry Powder, 1/2 tbsp. Puligore Powder or Lime Juice or Dry Mango Powder. Mix well and garnish with finely Chopped Coriander Leaves. Cool the Mixture.
1. Heat 2 tbp Oil in a Non stick Pan and Pan Fry Bitter Gourd . Don’t Squeeze Bitter Gourd . Cook on Medium High Flame.
2. It will take around 10 Minutes . Toss them in Between . Cover the Lid and Cook. Once Bitter Gourd is Cooked , Check with a Knife. Remove the Lid and Brown Karela.
3. If need add 1 more tbsp. Oil. Cool them and stuff with Potato Filling.
NOTE: Still Bitter Squeeze Juice of Half Lime and Sprinkle Some Sugar and Salt.
SERVE with Plain Paratha or Steamed rice of your Choice.