Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and right breakfast not only give energy and helps in Healthy weight and associated with lower Body Mass Index. This one meal helps children to concentrate better in the classroom. Fiber in vegetables help provide a feeling of fullness with few calories and provide nutrients vital for the maintenance of your body. For vegetarians lentils can be substitute for meat and in supplying the required Protein.
Idli is a traditional breakfast in South Indian households and is popular throughout India . It is one of the Popular and preferred breakfast in many households. It is a savory cake prepared with combination of rice and lentils , fermented and Steamed . When we don’t have time for soaking , grinding and fermenting we look for Instant Breakfast recipes. So today I’m sharing an Instant Idli recipe made with Semolina and Whole wheat vermicelli. You can use White or Brown Sooji . I roasted vermicelli and Sooji and mixed with finely chopped vegetables , Coriander and Soaked Beans or Cooked Beans for Complete meal . If you don’t have Cooked Beans chop the Beans before adding to the batter. Add fresh or Sour yogurt for tangy taste as we are not fermenting and just soaking for 30 minutes. I didn’t add any fruit salt . If needed you can add to the batter just before steaming .
These idli’s taste good even at room temperature and you can pack for KIDS LUNCH BOX with Homemade or Store bought Salsa. These idli’s definitely taste different from regular Idli’s . A COMPLETE BALANCED FOOD with Carbohydrates( Brown Sooji , Whole wheat Vermicelli ) Protein ( Beans) and Vegetables. Soak for 30 Minutes for best results. If you add Cooked Beans you can steam IDLI’S for 12 Minutes. You can add ENO for soft and fluffy idli’s and Optional . Pour at least 3 to 4 tbsp. of batter in each Idli mould.
Recipe for 16 Medium Idli’s.
Preparation time : 10 minutes and steaming Time : 13 Minutes except for Soaking 30 Minutes.
- Whole Wheat Vermicelli – 1 cup
2. Fine Daliya( Cracked wheat) or Sooji( Semolina) – 1/2 Cup
3. Curd or Yogurt – One Cup
4.Water – 1/2 Cup or accordingly
5. Vegetables- 1 cup ( Finely Chopped) Carrots, Green Beans , Green peas , corn etc
6. Cooked Beans – 1/2 Cup ( recommended COOKED and Chop ) or Green peas and Corn -1/2 cup ( Cook Beans in microwave for 6 minutes . 2+2+2)
7. Salt as per taste
8. Oil – 2 tbsp.
8.Seasoning – Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp. each
9.Salt as per taste
10 . Red pepper Flakes – 1 tbsp.
11. Curry Leaves – 5 ( Optional)
12 . Finely chopped Coriander Leaves.
13 . Tomato – 1 Medium( Finely Chopped)
1. Roast Vermicelli and Daliya or Sooji with little Oil Separately . Transfer to a Bowl.
2.Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and add all Seasoning to Oil . Add the Seasoning to Vermicelli Mixture.
3. Add Finely Chopped Vegetables, Tomato, Cooked Beans , Curd , Salt ,Red Pepper Flakes or Sliced Green Chillies and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves. Mix well and Soak for 30 Minutes. After 30 Minutes again Mix and Check for Salt and add accordingly. You can add ENO .
After 12 Minutes Switch off the Stove. When Pressure Comes down remove Idli stand from Pressure Cooker . Cool slightly and demould with Wet steel Spoon.
1. You can add ENO for soft and fluffy idli’s.
2. Add Cooked Beans. Otherwise Chop Soaked Beans . Cooks Perfectly .
3. Tastes Good without any Chutney. Taste good with Salsa.
4. Do not forget to roast Vermicelli and Sooji.
5. A complete balanced food with Carbohydrates( Sooji and Vermicelli) Protein ( Beans) and Vegetables.