Karela ( Bitter Gourd) Pickle with Spices.
Enjoy from Day 1 and stays good in the Refrigerator for 3 to 4 Days.
Recipe for 4 People .
Preparation and Cooking Time 30 Minutes.
Two ways to Cook Karela : Shallow Fry or Pan fry in a Single Layer.
Note : If you don’t want to Fry Karela ( Bitter Gourd) . Soak in Butter Milk , Tamarind Juice and Salt for 30 Minutes. After 30 Minutes Discard the Soaking Liquid and PAN FRY in a SINGLE LAYER . Use a Good Non stick Pan . Don’t Squeeze Karela after Soaking. Do Not SCRAPE the Skin or remove the SEEDS.
1. Karela – 8 ( Big and Thin) ( Cut into Half inch thick slices)
2. Oil for Shallow frying – 1/2 Cup or 4 tbsp for Panfrying.
3. Red Chilli Powder – 1 or 2 tbsp. accordingly
4. Cumin Powder , Fenugreek Powder and Mustard Powder – 1/2 tbsp. each
5. Salt as per taste
6. Hing – Pinch
7. Curry Leaves
8. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
9. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
10 . Juice of LIME – 1
11. Seasoning – Channa Dal – Handful , Coriander seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
1. Shallow Fry Karela ( Bitter Gourd) with Half Cup Oil . Cook on Medium or Medium High Heat .
2 . Once Bitter Gourd is Brown transfer to a Bowl .
3. In the rest of Oil add the Seasoning ( Channa Dal , Coriander seeds, Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Mustard Seeds, Hing , Turmeric and Curry Leaves .
4. Switch Off the stove and add Red chilli Powder, Cumin Powder, Fenugreek Powder and Mustard Powder to the Seasoning . Mix well .
5. Now add Fried Karela ( Bitter Gourd) Pieces and Juice of Lime. Mix well . Check for Salt and add accordingly . Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves. Serve with Steamed Rice or as a side for Lunch /Dinner.
1. Don’t Scrape the Skin or remove seeds of Karela ( Bitter Gourd).
2. Cut Bitter Gourd Half Inch thick.
3. Don’t overcrowd the Oil for frying. Half Cup Oil is sufficient for 8 Karela . or Pan fry in a Single layer.
4. Don’t Skip anything in the Seasoning . Gives Nice crunch and taste to the Pickle
5. Squeeze Juice of Lime reduces the bitterness of Karela .
6. Fry Karela on Medium or Medium High Heat.