Bottle gourd Curry ( Lauki) with Homemade Masala powder is a perfect accompainment for Phulka or Plain paratha . Lauki is also called Sorakaya or anapakaya in telugu, Ghiya in Punjabi , Sorakkay in tamil , Dudhi in Marathi .It is a very low Calorie vegetable with 12 Calories for 100 grams, Zero fat and contains 13 Percent of Vitamin C . Free radicals speeds up the process of aging whereas the adequate consumption of Vitamin C slows down the appearance . Vitamin C reduces the dryness and Wrinkles . It is an antioxidant which can lower the Oxidative damage associated wth stress , Pollution and Poor diet. Bottle gourd were the plants which were used by humans as long as 8000 to 10,000 years ago in the form of Musical instruments and Containers .First it was cultivated in Africa and Asia .Bottle gourd Possess various amounts of nutrients , minerals, Vitamins , lipids and amino acids . The high fiber content will keep you full . Select Bottle gourd which are light , Medium and thin . So the seeds will be tender and no need to remove them . Source : HM. I added Couple more Vegetables along with Bottle gourd . So it will be sufficient for four People. Use the Homemade Masala powder prepared with tamarind and Jaggery I shared in the recipe with Ghee , Oil and Hing tadka which enhances the taste and flavor.
Serve with Phulka or Chapathi or Plain Paratha.
1.Bottle gourd ( Lauki) – 1
2.Onion – 1 ( Medium)
3 . Baby Carrots – 5 to 10
4. Potato’s – 2 Medium or 1 Big
5. Tomato’s – 2
6. Oil – 2 tbsp.
7.Ghee – 1 tbsp.
8. Garlic Cloves – 4
9.Salt as per taste
10.Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
11. Curry Leaves -5
12. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
13. Jaggery Powder – 2 tbsp.
14. Seasoning – Urad Dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. , Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Red Chillies – 2 , Hing – Pinch
15. SPICE POWDER – Dry Roast Channa Dal ( Handful) with 1 tbsp. Coriander and Cumin seeds each , Fenu Greek seeds – 1/4 th tbsp, Red Chillies -2 . Cool the Spices and Grind with Marble Size Tamarind and 1/4 th Cup Dry Coconut.
1. Peel the Skin of Bottle Gourd and Cut into big Pieces. Cut Baby Carrots into Circles. Peel the Skin of Potato and cut into Cubes. Chop Onions Finely . Crush Garlic . Chop the Tomato’s . Grind the Spice Powder.
2. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and fry Onions with Crushed Garlic , Ginger ,little Salt and Turmeric Powder.
3. Once Onions are fried add the vegetables( Bottle gourd ( Lauki) , Potato’s,Carrots and Tomato’s) and cook for couple of minutes.
4. Add the Spice Powder, Jaggery and 1 Glass Water . Mix well and Cook until Veggies are Soft.
5. Heat 2 tbsp Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds , Urad dal , Cumin seeds, Red chillies, Curry Leaves and Hing. Add this Seasoning to the Curry. Check for Salt and Sweetness and add accordingly. Add 1 tbsp Ghee .
Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves.
1. If you want to taste only Bottle Gourd ( Lauki) Skip Carrots and Potato’s .
2 Don’t skip anything in the Spice Powder .
3. Do not skip TAMARIND and JAGGERY .
4. Season it with Ghee and Little Hing .