Simple recipe with fresh ingredients . Back to School . Struggling what to pack for Kids Lunch Box . Old recipe with added Ingredients . Good thing about this recipe is that it will taste good at room temperature and Keeps little One’s Full and satisfied. Easy for Moms to prepare Lunch Box if you Chop vegetables ahead of time , Cook Beans and store in the refrigerator. My Kids call it as Rainbow Poha because of all the Colors of Vegetables . Don’t forget to squeeze Juice of Lime , it really enhances the taste of the dish .
Recipe for 2 to 3 People .
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
- red rice Poha ( Flattened Rice) – 1 Cup ( Brown Rice Poha or Red rice or White Rice Poha)
2. Cooked Chickpeas and Frozen Green Peas or Cooked dried green or yellow Peas – 1 cup or Cooked Yellow or Green dried Peas – 1 Cup
3.Rasam Powder / Sambar Powder/ Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
4. Oil – 2 tbsp.
5. Salt as per taste
6. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
7. Juice of LIME – 1
8. Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp.
9. Curry Leaves -5
10. Vegetables : Finely Chopped White Cabbage – 1/2 Cup , Red Tomato -1 ( Chopped) , Onions – 1/2 Cup ( Chopped) , Orange Carrots – 1/2 Cup ( Chopped) , Yellow Bellpepper – 1/2 Cup ( Chopped)
1. Wash Poha ( Flattened Rice) 3 to 4 times and Keep aside . Do not Soak in Water . It will get Softened in few Minutes. Wash and Strain using a Straineer.
2. In a Non stick Pan heat 1 tbsp. Oil and add 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds followed by Finely Chopped Onions, Cabbage, Bell Pepper , Carrots . Cook for few Minutes. Don’t close the lid or add SALT. So the Vegetables will be Crunchy . Cook on a Medium Flame stirring in between .
3. After 5 Minutes add Chopped Tomato’s and Cooked Chickpeas and Frozen Green Peas . Mix well .
4. Cook for Couple of Minutes and add Poha ( Flattened Rice ) . Season with Salt and Curry Powder. Add One more tbsp. OIL . Mix well and Switch off the Flame.
5. Squeeze Juice of Lime and Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .
Poha is Heart Healthy and Good Source of 11 essential Vitamins and Minerals including Iron. As the flakes are usually Pounded using an Iron Mortar and Pestle , the process boosts the Iron Content.Flattened Rice is nothing but Rice that has been Parboiled, rolled , Flattened and dried to produce Flakes. This easily digestible form of Raw rice is very Popular across India, Nepal and Bangladesh and is normally used to prepare Snacks or Light and easy fast food in a variety of Indian Cuisine styles , some even for long term consumption of a week or more. It is low in Sodium, Fat and Cholestrol and is beneficial to control Blood Pressure and Lower the risk of Heart Disease.WHY WE NEED CARBOHYDRATES : Most Nutritional Experts agree that Whole Grain Carbohydrates provide a good source of Long Lasting Energy such as Rice , Pasta, Bread and Cereal . Carbohydrates should consist of 40 percent of your Daily Intake and another 30 percent coming from PROTEIN like LENTILS and DAIRY PRODUCTS.