Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes .
Note : If you want to Serve Spinach Soup as Spinach Rasam with Steamed Rice add Seasoning with 1 tbsp. Oil , 1 tbsp. Ghee Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds, Urad dal, Broken Red chillies, Asafotedia , Curry Leaves .
1. Cooked Toordal and Channa Dal – 1/2 Cup
2. Onions – 1/2 Cup ( Chopped)
3. Tomato’s -2 ( Chopped and Crushed )
4. Spinach – 3 Handfuls ( Finely Chopped)
5.Garlic Cloves -4 ( Crushed and Sliced)
6. Water – 2 Glasses ( 16 Ounces ) or according to your Consistency
7.Rasam Powder – 1tbsp
8.Salt as per taste
9.Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
10. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
11.Oil – 1 tbsp.
12. Ghee – 1 tbsp.
13. Juice of Lime – Half
SPICE POWDER or RASAM POWDER :
Dry roast 1/2 tbsp. Cumin seeds ,
1/2 tbsp. Coriander Leaves ,
2 Red chillies ,
1 tbsp. Channa Dal ,
5 to 6 Black Peppercons,
1/4 th tbsp. Fenugreek seeds.
Cool them and Grind with Marble Size Tamarind and 2 tbsp. Dry Coconut.
1. Heat a tbsp. of Oil and Saute Onion with little Salt ,Turmeric and Cumin seeds till Brown . Once Onions are browned add Crushed Garlic . Fry few Minutes.
2. Then add Crushed Tomato’s and Cook till Tomato’s are Soft
. 3. Once the Tomato’s are soft add Cooked Dal’s, Chopped Spinach and Water .Mix well .
4. Now Season with Salt and Spice Powder or Rasam Powder . Bring to a Boil .
5.Once it comes to Boil switch off the Stove and Squeeze Juice of Lime , Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and 1 tbsp. Ghee.
1. Soak 1/4 th Cup Dals for One Hour . Wash before and after Soaking. After One Hour Pressure Cook Dals with One Glass of Water.
2. If you want to Serve Spinach Soup Or Rasam with STEAMED RICE , Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp. Ghee and Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Red Chillies, Curry Leaves, CRUSHED GARLIC and Hing. Add this Seasoning to Spinach Rasam .
3. Squeeze Juice of Lime after Switching off the Stove .
4. Don’t Skip Spice Powder or Rasam Powder , it gives Nice taste and flavor to the Soup or Rasam . I recommend to use fresh Spice Powder or Rasam Powder.
5. Crush the Tomato’s with Hands before adding to the Rasam .
Spinach is high in Fiber and Water Content ,both of which help and promote a Healthy digestive tract. Excellent Source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and folic acid and a good source of Manganese , Magnesium , Iron and Vitamin B2 .
Vitamin K is important for maintaining Bone Health and it is difficult to find vegetables rich in Vitamin K than Spinach . Others include Kale, Broccoli and Cabbage .
Iron deficiency is a common cause of hair loss which can be prevented by an adequate intake of Iron rich foods like Spinach .
Because of High Potassium Content , Spinach is recommended to those with High Blood Pressure to negate the effects of Sodium in the body. Other high Potassium foods include Oranges, Potato’s ,Tomatoes and Lima Beans.
The possible Health Benefits of consuming Spinach include improving Blood Glucose control in diabetes , lowering the risk of Cancer , Lowering Blood Pressure and improving Bone Health.
Note : 1.If cooking opt for Steaming , Sauteeing or Microwaving Spinach rather than Boiling to Preserve the Nutrients .
2. Do not wash Spinach before storing as the moisture will cause it to spoil.
3.Freezing Spinach diminishes its Health Benefits . The best way to eat it is Buy fresh and eat fresh .
4. Try to buy Organic Spinach because the leaf tends to be Sprayed heavily with Pesticides that don’t come off with Normal Washing.
5.Health benefits of Cooked Spinach are more than the raw Spinach because the body cannot completely break down the Nutrients in raw Spinach.
1/2 Cup of Cooked Spinach will give you thrice as much as nutrition as One cup of raw Spinach.
There is a Compound in Spinach called Oxalic acid , which blocks the absorption of Calcium and Iron .Easy way to solve the problem is to pair Spinach with a food High in Vitamin C . Another way to reduce the Power of Oxalic acid is to Saute the Spinach Leaves for at least 2 Minutes.