Snake Gourd Stir Fry Serve with Steamed Rice or Chapathi ( Indian Flat Bread) . High light of the recipe is the Spice Powder that I used in the Curry . Changes the taste of this Healthy and tasteless Vegetable into a tasty Vegetable Curry.
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
1. Snake Gourd – 3 ( Cut into 18 Pieces)
2 . Onions – 1 Big ( Cut Length Wise)
3. SPICE POWDER :
Dry roast 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds, 1 tbsp. Coriander seeds, 1/4 th tbsp. Mustard seeds , 10 Fenugreek seeds , Red chillies – 2 . Cool the Spices and Grind with 1/4 th Cup roasted Channa Dal and Handful of Dry Coconut. OR
Mix 1 tbsp. Red chilli Powder, 1/2 tbsp. Cumin Powder, 1/2 tbsp. Coriander Powder ,1/4 th tbsp. Fenugreek powder and Mustard Powder, Ajwain – 1/4 th tbsp. , Handful of Chickpea flour and Hand ful of Rice flour – Mix all the POWDERS and Sprinkle on the Curry at the end accordingly .
4.Garlic cloves – 4 ( Crushed)
5. Salt as per taste
6. Oil – 3 tbsp.
7. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
8.Juice of Lime – Half
9. Curry Leaves -5
10. Seasoning : 1 tbsp. Urad Dal , 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , 1/2 tbsp. Mustard seeds , Broken red chillies – 4
1. Cut Snake Gourd into 18 Pieces . Do not remove the seeds .Pressure Cook with 1/4 th Cup Water and little Salt . When Pressure comes down , Open the lid and transfer the Snake Gourd Pieces into a wide Plate and Cool them before Pan frying. Discard the Water.
2. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil in a Pan and fry Snake Gourd Pieces until Brown . Transfer to a Plate.
3. In the same Pan heat 1 tbsp. Oil and fry Onions with Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds, Urad dal , Broken red chillies , Curry Leaves , Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp. and little Salt.
4. Once Onions are Brown , Switch off the Stove and transfer Snake Gourd Pieces into the Pan . Sprinkle the Spice Powder . Mix gently . Check for Salt and add accordingly.
5. Squeeze JUICE OF LIME . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
SERVE with STEAMED RICE or CHAPATHI ( Indian Flat Bread)
Snake Gourd also known as Chinese Cucumber occupies an essential place among Healthy Vegetables in India. It is grown within the Asian Countries as well as across Australia and Nigeria. Snake Gourd is a well liked Veggie and comes in different sizes and can be obtained all Year round and mostly cultivated in Home gardens .
Snake Gourd is low in Calories , Fat free because of its High Water substance and filling and great to restrain in Weight Loss Menus. This Summer Vegetable nature provides has a Cooling effect on the body and helps in Handling the Summer heat. Good source of minerals like magnesium , Calcium and Phosphorous.
Magnesium is an essential Nutrient found in many foods like Green Vegetables, Legumes and Nuts. The most common signs of Magnesium deficiency are Muscles weakness and sleepiness. Magnesium plays an important role in energy production management. Leg cramps are often caused by Magnesium Deficiency and thus supplying Magnesium will help.