Chole Pulav or Chickpeas Pulav is a Simple Vegetarian One pot Spiced Rice Recipe made with aromatic rice, Cooked Chickpeas , Vegetables and Spices. It is a common rice dish that is often made in Indian homes and can be packed for lunch box or enjoy as a Weekend Lunch/Dinner . It is a complete meal by itself when served with Raita( Yogurt with Cucumber , Onion ad tomato).
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
1. Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
2. Chickpeas – 1/2 Cup dried or 1 Cup Cooked or Mixed Beans
3. Potatoes – 1
4. Onion – 1
5. Tomatoes -2 or Tomato Puree
6. Salt as per taste
7. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
8 . Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
9 . Oil – 3 tbsp.
10 . Ghee or Butter – 2 tbsp.
11. Finely Chopped Coriander leaves
12 . Pan Fried Onions – 1/2 Cup for Garnishing
13. Chole Masala – 1 tbsp. ( easily available in Indian stores )
14. Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp.
15. Dry Mango Powder – 1 tbsp.
16 . Curd or Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
17. Ginger garlic Paste – 1 tbsp.
18. Whole Garam Masala – Bay Leaf – 3 , Cloves – 5 , Cardamom – 2 , Cinnamon stick – 2 Small .
19. Green Chillies – 3 to 4
20 Roasted Cashews – 1/4 th Cup
1. Soak Chickpeas overnight and Pressure Cook with little Salt and Water for 4 to 5 Whistles.
Cook Potatoes too. Once Pressure comes down transfer Chickpeas to a bowl without Water . Cool the Potatoes , Peel the Skin , Cut into Cubes and Pan fry them . We add these fried Potatoes at the end .
2. Cut Onions length Wise . Chop the tomatoes or Puree .
3. Wash Basmati rice and Soak in water for 30 Minutes .
4. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp. Ghee and Crackle 1/2 tbsp. Cumin seeds and add Whole Garam Masala . Wash Basmati rice and add 2 Cups Water , little Salt and add the Spiced Oil and Cook the rice in a RICE COOKER . Once rice Cooked , Cool it before adding to the PULAV.
5.In the same Pan heat 1 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp. Ghee and Crackle 1/2 tbsp. Cumin seeds and Saute Onions. Once Onions are brown add 1 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste and fry for Couple Minutes. Now add Slit Green Chillies , Spices ( Turmeric , Red chilli Powder , Chole Masala and dry Mango Powder ) .
Mix well and add Cooked Chickpeas and tomato Puree. Cook tomato Puree till it dries out little bit.
6. Now time to add Cooked Basmati rice and Mix gently . Don’t Mix too vigorously the rice will break . Add Pan fried Potatoes and little Salt if needed.
7. Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander leaves , Cashews and Fried Onions .
SERVE WITH RAITA . ( Yogurt with Onions and Tomatoes seasoned with Cumin Oil)
Generally families in India treat themselves with Basmati rice every weekend and is not one for every day eating and for Special Occasions. It has amazing health benefits in balancing Doshas . Rice is the most nourishing and easy to digest . Basmati rice builds body tissue and is very rich in Prana or Vital bio energy.
Plain rice is good too and doesn’t really disturb the inner digestive fires. It is a valuable food for those recovering from illness.
Dry roasting it Prior to eating is a good idea as it lessens heaviness. To balance the Vata doshas one must consume well cooked rice , Soaked and boiled in Water . In Sattvic meals a dash of clarified butter ( Ghee) is added while cooking the rice.
Ayurveda advises long grained and aromatic Basmati rice. It is Pure and Nutritious while balancing Physiology. It can also be combined with Beans, Cottage Cheese, Vegetables for wholesome and nutritious dishes. It can also be spiced with variety of herbs and Spices. It is not expensive and can be part of your regular meals . For CENTURIES now aromatic Basmati Rice has proved to be a great healing food and recommends for every human being.