Ragada Patties is a very Popular Favorite Chaat recipe and Street Snack in many parts of India . A nice combination of Melt in mouth Patties , Spicy Ragada , Sweet , spicy Chutney’s and little crunch from Sev. This dish is a two part preparation of Potato Patties and Ragada. Patties are made with boiled and Mashed Potato ( I added Sweet Potato along with White Potato and spices while preparing Patties) and Ragada is prepared with Cooked Yellow Peas( I added grated Carrot for nice red Color), Vegetables and Spices and garnished with Finely Chopped Onions, tomato’s , Sweet and Spicy chutney’s and Sev.
Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes are must in My Grocery List . I use them in every day Cooking for sandwiches, Salads , Soups or Saute with other Vegetables. We all have a confusion about including Potatoes in our diet fearing they are rich in Carbohydrates or White in color like Rice and doesn’t have any nutritional benefits. But potatoes are incredibly healthy food with Vitamins and Minerals . What we need to be cautioned of is what we need to pair with Potatoes instead of deep frying( Occasionally eating fried foods are Ok) . What I learned is Potatoes are fat free with dietary fiber and Sweet Potatoes has 400 percent of your daily needs of Vitamin A as well as loads of fiber and Potassium . Because of its high fiber content Sweet Potatoes promotes Healthy Digestive tract.
I often prepare this at home for weekend lunch as it is Complete and Balanced meal with Carbs ( Potato’s) , Protein( dried Peas) and Fibre( from vegetables). We can even make it healthier at home by Controlling Salt, Spices and Oil . You can serve it as a Snack or Party appetizer . It is delicious and filling snack for weekend lunch . It takes less time in Cooking if you have Cooked Peas, Potato , Chutneys and Vegetables.
Let’s learn how to make MY VERSION of this delicious and famous Chaat recipe .
Need 2 tbsp. Oil for Whole Recipe . 1 tbsp. OIL for Potato Cutlets ( Patties ) and 1 tbsp. OIL for RAGADA( Dried Yellow peas Stew)
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes and Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
1. White Potatoes – 2
2. Sweet Potatoes – 2
3. Red rice Poha – 1/4 th Cup
4. Coriander and Mint Chutney – 1 tbsp.
5. Green Chillies – 1
6. Chaat Masala – 1/2 tbsp.
7. Cumin Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
8. Salt as Per taste
9. Finely Chopped Coriander
10 Oil – 1 tbsp. for frying Patties .
1. Pressure Cook 2 White Potatoes and 2 Sweet Potatoes with Little Salt and Water for 2 to 3 Whistles .
2.When Pressure Comes down transfer Potatoes into a bowl . Cool them . Peel the Skin and Mash the Potatoes.
3. Wash 1/4 th Cup Red rice Poha( Flattened Rice) for 3 times and drain out all water. Add this Poha ( Flattened Rice) to Mashed Potatoes .
4. Add 1 tbsp. Coriander and mint Chutney , Finely Chopped Green Chillies (1) , Salt , Chat Masala 1/2 tbsp. , ( Blend of Spices , Easily available in Indian Stores) Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and 1/2 tbsp. Cumin Powder .
5. Mix well and Check for Salt and add accordingly . Divide the dough into 6 equal Parts and flatten them on the Palm of around Half inch thick. Heat Pan and fry the Patties( Cutlets) with little Oil till Golden Brown on both sides . Drizzle Oil around the sides to help crisp up . Transfer to a Plate.
1. Dried Yellow peas – 1/2 Cup
2. Potato – 1
3. Onion – 1 Medium (Chopped)
4. Ginger and Garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
5. Oil – 1 tbsp.
6. Salt as per taste
7. Tomato’s – 2 ( Finely Chopped)
8. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
9. Turmeric Powder – 1/4 th tbsp.
10 . Curry Powder and Pav Bhaji Masala – 1/2 tbsp. each
11. Grated Carrot – 1/4 th to 1/2 cup
1. Soak Yellow Peas ( 1/2 Cup) overnight and Pressure Cook with Half Glass Water , Little Salt and One Potato for 3 to 4 Whistles.
2. When Pressure comes down transfer Yellow Peas into a Bowl along with Water and Mash the Potato. .
3. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Saute Onions with 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds, Little Salt . 1/4 th tbsp. Turmeric powder .
4. Once Onions are fried add Ginger Garlic Paste ( 1 tbsp.) and fry Couple of Minutes .
5. Add finely Chopped Tomato’s ( 2 ) and Cook until tomato’s are nice and Soft . Once tomatoes are soft add Cooked Yellow Peas along with Water and Mashed Potato. Season with 1 tbsp. curry Powder , 1/2 tbsp. Pav Bhaj Masala . Add Grated Carrot too (1/4 th Cup) .
Mix well and Cook on Medium High Flame for 7 to 10 Minutes or Until it comes to a Boil. Once it comes to boil , switch off the Stove and check for Salt . Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .
1. Coriander and Mint Chutney 2. Dates and Tamarind Chutney 3. Sev 4. Finely Chopped Onions 5. Finely Chopped Tomato 6. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves . Place 2 Patties on a Serving Plate .
Pour 3/4 th Cup Ragada on top of Patties . Top with Finely Chopped Onions, Tomatoes and Coriander Leaves . Drizzle Coriander and Mint Chutney , Dates and Tamarind Chutney and Finish it off Sev . Sprinkle Chat Masala and Serve.