Today I want to share with you all a Green Leafy Vegetable Stir Fry which is Popular in Indian Cuisines for many years and my family’s favorite Green Leafy Vegetable because the way it was cooked . Cook my way and it will become your family’s favorite too.
Amaranth Leaves or Chinese Spinach comes both in Green and Purplish pink color . Both taste more or less the same . The leaves along with thin stems are perfect for Stir fry . Don’t pick the bunch with flowers since they are older and should be avoided . Wash 4 to 5 times thoroughly . The main drawback of this green leafy vegetable , it is not prewashed . The stems when become more matured are used in preparing Dal , Stew and Sambar. In india we get this leafy vegetable throughout the year . Spring and Summer is the season in USA . It is a must Leafy vegetable in my Shopping list .If you haven’t tried , then you should try as it is prepared with minimum ingredients (5) Amaranth Leaves , Moong Dal , Whole Garlic, Onions and Curry Powder.
I remember my Mom cooking this leafy vegetable 5 to 6 times in a month and bribe us to eat ( So we have long and Black Hair) . I made some changes to my Mom’s recipe which is watery . I prepared a dry stir fry which goes well with Steamed Rice or Phulka or roti or Plain Paratha.
Don’t skip Yellow Moong Dal ,Curry Powder and Whole Garlic which elevates the taste of Stir fry.Let’s learn how to make this easy Stir Fry.
1. Amaranth Leaves – 1 Bunch
2. Garlic Cloves – 15 to 20 ( Don’t Peel the Skin . Leave it Whole)
3. Yellow Moong Dal – 1/4 th Cup dry
4 . Onion – 1
5. Oil – 3 tbsp.
6. Curry Leaves
7. Salt as per taste
8. Turmeric – 1/4 th Cup
9. Seasoning – Urad Dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Red chillies – 4 Broken , Hing – pinch
10 . Curry Powder – 1 tbsp. ( Blend of Red chilli Powder, Coriander and Cumin Powder , Mustard and Fenugreek Powder, Garlic Cloves and Coriander Leaves)
1. Wash Amaranth Leaves thoroughly 4 to 5 times. Chop the Leaves with Stems .
2. Soak Yellow Moong dal for 30 Minutes . Wash 3 to 4 times and drain out all Water.
3. In a wide Pan Cook Chopped Amaranth Leaves along with Soaked Yellow Moong Dal and Little Salt on a Medium or Medium High Flame till the leaves and Stems are cooked. Check the stems and Moong Dal . It will take 7 to 10 Minutes. Once Cooked Cool the Amaranth Leaves and Moong Dal in a wide Plate . So the Curry will be dry instead of being Mushy. No need to add Water while cooking Leaves with Moong dal . Stir in between to avoid burning. Check the stem and Moong dal . Once they both are cooked switch off the Stove.
4. In the Same Pan heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds , Urad dal , Broken Red chillies , Curry Leaves and Hing . Add finely Chopped Onions and sauté till Brown . Once Onions are brown add Whole Garlic . Close the lid and Cook for 3 Minutes. Check the Garlic whether it is Cooked .
5. Add Cooled Amaranth Leaves along with Moong Dal . Mix well and fry till it is dry . It takes 3 to 5 minutes. Add One more tbsp. Oil . Once it is dried add Curry Powder and Mix . Check for Salt and adjust.