Okra is an Old vegetable made its first appearance about 3500 years ago and is known as Lady’s finger. It is called a super vegetable for People with or at risk for diabetes because of the fiber in this vegetable helps in stabilizing blood sugar levels . Full of nutrients that can be useful for those who aim to improve their well being. It is your intestinal tract’s friend. This part of the body comes with good and bad bacteria and Okra is good food to keep your GI tract Healthy because of its contribution for good bacteria known as probiotics in your GI tract.
Chickpea flour helps in lowering Cholesterol and beneficial for diabetics because of low GI , low in fat and high in fiber.
Source : Health Magazines
Today I’m sharing a simple recipe with Okra( Bhindi) , Chickpea flour and Spices. Check the recipe how to Cook Okra without getting slimy . Grind Onions Coarsely and add ginger garlic paste for extra flavor and I recommend to use a wide Pan to Cook the Vegetable because it is slimy and the best way is to fry okra till light brown , add the Spice Powder at the end and for fry for Couple of minutes for a perfect stir fry. lime juice adds Sour taste to the Curry and flavor from the Spice Powder , Sweetness from the Coconut , Perfectly fried Okra is lovely combination . The end result is a super simple Okra Curry that will please your family .
Recipe for 3 to 4 People.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
1. Okra – 30 ( Wash and Cut into Circles)
2. Onion – 1 Big ( Grind Coarsely)
3. Chick Pea flour – 1/4 th Cup
4 . Rice Flour – 1/4 th Cup
5. Dry Coconut – 1/4 th Cup
6. Salt as per taste
7. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
8. Oil – 4 tbsp. to 6 tbsp
9. Seasoning – Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin and Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Broken Red chillies – 4 , Hing – Pinch , Curry Leaves and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
10 . Spice Powder to be Mixed with Chick Pea Flour and Rice Flour – Red chilli Powder – 1 tbsp., Coriander and Cumin Powder – 1/2 tbsp. each , Fenugreek Powder and Mustard powder – 1/4 th tbsp. and Aajwain – 1/4 tbsp. and dry coconut powder.
1.Heat 2 tbsp. Oil in a Wide Pan and fry okra . Cover with lid for 5 minutes . Don’t add any Salt . Once Okra is soft remove the lid and fry Okra till brown ( it will take approximately 10 Minutes ) . If needed add 2 more tbsp. Oil .Once Okra is fried transfer to a Bowl .
2. In the same Pan heat 2 tbsp. Oil and sauté Onions with little Salt , Urad dal , cumin and Mustard seeds , Broken red chillies , Hing and Curry Leaves . Once Onions are brown add Ginger Garlic paste ( 1 tbsp. ) and fry for Couple of Minutes .
3. Add Okra and Chickpea flor ,Rice flour and Spice powder Mixture . Fry for 5 Minutes and Switch off the Stove .
4. Garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander leaves
5. Squeeze Juice of Lime ( Optional) . Add Handful of roasted peanuts at the end.
SERVE with Steamed Rice or Phulka or Chapathi or Plain Paratha.