Mixed Vegetable is our Friday night Vegetable when I ran out of Veggies or Purposefully I save Couple of Eggplants to cook with other left over vegetables . Serve with Steamed rice or Indian Bread ( Phulka or Plain Paratha . See at the end of Post for Phulka recipe) and Raita.
I cut Vegetables in big Chunks so they have a texture when served . Simple recipe with 4 Well Known Universal Vegetables , nice aroma from Homemade Curry Powder are the main Ingredients , Curry Leaves add a Special flavor to the dish and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves . I used long Purple eggplants . Not only they Cook fast , but taste good . Feel free to use any kind of Eggplant of your Choice.
As I already Planned for Friday dinner I cook Potato’s in advance and refrigerate them so they retain their shape when Cooked . Read the Procedure/Method carefully so you can Prepare this Chunky Mixed Vegetable Curry.
1. Eggplants -2 ( Cut length wise into 8 Pieces)
2. Onion – 1 ( Cut length wise into big Chunks)
3. Tomatoes – 2 ( Cut into 8 Pieces)
4. Potatoes – 2 ( Boil , refrigerate , Peel the Skin and Cut into Cubes)
5. Home made Curry Powder – 1 tbsp.
6. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp.
8. Salt to taste
9 . Curry leaves – 5
10 . Ginger and Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp.
11. Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds – 1tbsp each , Broken Red chillies – 4
12 . Hing – Pinch
13 . Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
14. Green Chillies
- Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Saute Onions with Cumin seeds , little Salt , turmeric, Green Chillies and Curry Leaves .
2. Once Onions are HALF done add Ginger Garlic Paste and fry for few seconds.
3. Cut EGGPLANT length wise into 8 Pieces and add to Onions. Mix gently . Cover the lid and Cook for 5 Minutes .
4 . When Eggplant is HALF COOKED add TOMATOES and Cooked , cubed ,REFRIGERATED POTAOES . Add One more tbsp. Oil . Mix gently and Cook with Lid covered for 3 to 4 Minutes . After 4 Minutes Switch Off the Stove and add Curry Powder and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .
5. Keep the Lid Half Open to ESCAPE the STEAM and to retain the TEXTURE of the VEGETABLES .
SERVE with STEAMED RICE of your CHOICE or INDIAN BREAD ( PHULKA or PLAIN PARATHA)