Halwa Poori is a traditional Old age recipe prepared with Halwa ( a Semolina dish Sweetned with Sooji , Brown Sugar , Nuts , Ghee and Water ) and Stuffed inside a Wheat flour dough and Deep Fried. Instead of deep frying I Pan fried like Paratha . In some parts of India Halwa is served with Puffed Bread’s or Poori’s . This is a traditional dish which my Mom makes and Pack for our Lunch Box or during Festival season as Dessert with Some Rice dishes and tastes best on its Own .
Here is the Recipe . If you try out My recipe please leave a Comment .
1. Sooji or Fine Wheat rava or Roasted Upma Mix( Wheat) – 1 Cup
2. Water – 3 Cups
3. Brown Sugar or Jaggery – 1/2 Cup or accordingly
4 . Ghee – 2 tbsp.
5. Cardamom – 4
6. Nuts – 1/2 Cup ( Almonds , Cashews , Pistachios ) Chopped .
1. Heat 1 tbsp. Ghee in a Sauce Pan and roast SOOJI till light Brown . Transfer to a Bowl .
2. In the same Sauce Pan add 3 Cups Water and Brown Sugar or Jaggery , Cardamom and bring to boil . Once water comes to Boil check Water for Sweetness and adjust .
3. Now slowly add Sooji stirring Continuously to avoid lumps . Add nuts too . Cook on a medium flame .
4. When the Halwa starts to thicken add One more tbsp. Ghee . Mix well and Switch off the Stove .
PARATHA : Wheat Flour – 2 Cups, Milk – 4 Ounces , Water accordingly , Oil – tbsp. , Salt . Mix the Ingredients and make a dough . Refrigerate Overnight .
METHOD: 1. Take the Paratha dough . knead and make balls.
3. Bring the sides of the rolled Paratha and Seal it . Press , Sprinkle some flour and roll again into thick Paratha ( Make sure the Halwa is spread evenly when rolling) . 4. Heat Pan and fry the Paratha on both sides till Golden Brown ( You can apply Oil or Ghee on both sides while frying ) SERVE WARM