Recipe for 4 to 6 People Preparation time: 15 Minutes Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
Dal is a Staple food in every household . We can prepare variety of Dals / Lentils by adding Green Leafy Vegetables like Spinach , Methi, Amaranth Leaves etc and Vegetables like Bottle Gourd , Green Squash ( Lauki) , Cucumber , Tomato, Eggplant etc. Dal’s are rich in Protein and adding Green Leafy Vegetables make it more nutritious .
Today’s recipe is dal with Fenugreek Leaves/Methi Leaves . Fenugreek Leaves are slightly Bitter in taste . Adding Fenugreek Leaves to the tempering and Sauting for few minutes will reduce the bitterness and no need to Sprinkle salt or Squeeze the Leaves or rinse them in water . What makes the Dal special is tempering with Ghee , Broken red chillies , Crushed Garlic , Hing and Home made Curry powder gives nice taste and flavor to the dal.Don’t forget to squeeze Juice of Lime at the end.Serve this Dal with Phulka , Steamed Rice , Stir fry Vegetable , Ghee , Pickle , Papad and Raita.
Here is the Simple , easy and Delicious Dal fry with Fenugreek Leaves .
1. Methi Leaves ( Fenugreek Leaves ) – 2 Bunches ( Wash 4 to5 Times . Soak for 5 Minutes every time you Wash )
2. Onion – 1 ( Cut Length Wise)
3. Tomatoes – 2 ( Chopped)
4. Garlic Cloves – 6 ( Crushed)
5. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp. ( Grind 1 tbsp. red Chilli Powder , 1/2 tbsp. Coriander powder , 1/2 tbsp. Cumin Powder , SALT , Garlic cloves -2 , Coriander leaves )
6. Oil – 2 tbsp.
7. Ghee – 1 tbsp.
8. Juice of Lime – 1/2
9. Green Chilli Paste – 1 tbsp.
10 . Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
11. Seasoning – Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. , Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. , Hing – Pinch , Broken Red chillies – 4 , Curry Leaves – 5
12. TOOR DAL, Yellow Moong dal and Channa Dal – Half Cup
1. Rinse Dal before and after Soaking . Soak Dal for 30 Minutes .
2. After 30 Minutes Pressure Cook with One glass water for 2 to 3 Whistles. When Pressure comes down Mash the Lentils if needed.
3. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and add Mustard seeds, Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Broken Red chillies , Hing and Curry Leaves . Saute Onions till brown . Once Onions are Brown add Crushed Garlic and Green Chillies . Fry for Couple of Minutes .
4. Add Methi Leaves and Saute for 3 to 4 Minutes , add Chopped tomatoes and Cook until tomatoes are soft . Add CURRY POWDER and Cooked DAL. Add Water according to Your Consistency . Mix dal and Season with Salt and Cook for 7 to 8 Minutes on Medium or Medium High Flame .
5. Switch off the Stove . Cool the Dal and Squeeze Juice of Half Lime and garnish with Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves . Check for salt and adjust . Add 1 tbsp Ghee .
Good To Read : Source : Health Magazines
Fenugreek is an annual Plant that is also known as Methi in many Places and is Cultivated and Consumed in Indian Sub continent . Rich source of Vitamin K. Fenugreek helps in battling free radicals due to its antioxidant Capacity . Regular usage of Methi for Women in the form of Seeds or leaves in their diet provides relief from Iron Deficiency . Eating Methi with Tomatoes helps in the absorption of Iron. Adding Methi in the diet or applying to hair in the form of paste makes hair more Shiny , strong , long and Black . It helps in reducing Hair dryness and nourishes Hair roots and keeps the Scalp free from Dandruff . It has essential amino acid which is responsible for enhancing the Insulin production in the body . The leaves can dried and used as Herbs , Seeds are grinded into Spice and leaves are used as Vegetable like Sprouts and micro greens.