Steamed Masala Vada is a combination of different dal’s blended together with Spices and Steamed . There is no compromise in taste because they are soft and Spongy as fried Vada’s . After steaming I crisp up the Vada’s by Pan frying which tasted like Masala Vada . Serve them with raita and they almost tasted like Dahi Vada’s with a hint from veggies and nice aroma from Cumin seeds seasoning makes you want to eat more . Most of the weekend Lunch when I was Kid was Vada with Sevai Kheer . Awesome Combination. As my Grand parents doesn’t want to eat fried Vada’s my mother use to Steam the same batter ( Only Urad dal) . I made a few changes to my Mom’s recipe . I added ENO fruit salt for soft and spongy texture. These Steamed vada’s with raita or Sevai Kheer became my family’s favorite vada’s .
Chutney’s are good accompaniment for appetizers or Breakfast recipes . Carrot Almond Chutney is a perfect balance of Sweetness from Carrots , Spices and tanginess from tamarind and Lime juice. It is the best way to sneak in Veggies for Kids in the form of Chutneys which are Healthy and nutritious . You will love the combination of Carrots and Almonds . Almonds add a Crispy and nutty flavor to the Chutney. Roast the Almonds along with other Spices before adding to the Chutney because you absorb more nutrients and are easier to digest when they are in the raw state.
Lentils known as Dal are staple in Indian diet . One cup of cooked Lentils contains only 230 Calories but still leave you feel full and satisfied. Lentils increase steady , slow burning energy because of its fiber and Complex carbohydrates . They are Powerhouse of nutrition and are high in protein . Helps improve digestion and gives Instant energy .
I added Ginger and green chillies while grinding the batter . Ginger is an ancient wonder spice which can activate your digestive juices . Eat a little fresh / Pickled ginger before a meal to improve your appetite . Adding green chillies helps in digestion of food and helps in maintaining the Immune system.
Use light Green Chillies which are not spicy and it is recommended to eat only small amounts of Green Chillies daily. Source :Health Magazines.
Here is the Recipe for Steamed Masala Vada , Carrot Almond Chutney and Vegetable Raita.
Recipe for 20 Medium Vada’s .
Note : Prepare Chutney and Raita night before and grind the Batter in the morning. It will take only 5 Minutes for grinding and 12 Minutes for Steaming .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes .
1. Urad Dal – 1/2 Cup
2. Channa Dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Yellow Moong Dal and Green Moong Dal – 1/4 th Cup each
4. Onion – 1/2 Cup or Medium
5. Green Chillies – 3 ( Medium Spicy )
6. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
7. Salt as per taste
8 . Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp.
9. Rice flour – 4 tbsp.
10 . Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
11. ENO fruit salt
1. Soak Dals Overnight . Wash before and after Soaking .
2. Morning wash the dals . Drain out all water and grind with Green Chillies, Salt , Cumin seeds , Chopped Onion without Water. Transfer the batter to a Bowl.
3. Add finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and ENO fruit salt . Add rice flour if you are not able to shape Vada . Divide the batter into equal portions by slightly greasing Oil to your hands .
4. and shape like Vada. Place them in the Idli moulds .Grease your hands with Oil so the batter wont stick to your hand. Grease IDLI plates too with little Oil . Steam Pressure Cooker with adequate water .
NOTE : I pan fried Vada’s for CRISPINESS for 3 minutes on each side . Drizzle some Oil to Crisp the Vada’s.
1. Baby Carrots – 40 ( Cut into Small Pieces or in Blender or Grate)
2. Almonds – 2 Handfuls
3. Cumin seeds and Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp. each
4. Green Chillies – 2
5. Red Chillies – 2
6. Salt as per taste
7. Juice of Lime – Half
8. Tamarind – Marble size
9. Curry Leaves – 5
10 . Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
11. Seasoning : Oil – 3 tbsp. , Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Channa Dal – 2 tbsp. , Curry Leaves – 5 , Hing – Pinch , Broken red chillies – 4 , Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .
1. If Baby Carrots are grated or In the Blender you can cook on stove top . Otherwise Pressure Cook for 2 Whistles with very little Water . I recommend to use Blender .
2. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Cook the Carrots Until Soft with little salt and Turmeric (1/4 th tbsp.) . Cool it before Blending .
3. Dry roast Almonds , Cumin seeds , Coriander seeds , Red chillies . Cool the Spices and grind with Tamarind and Green Chillies . Add Cooked Carrots and grind Coarsely .
4. Transfer to a Bowl and add Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and Squeeze Juice of Lime .
5. Heat 3 tbsp. Oil and fry Channa dal followed by Urad dal, Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds, Red chillies , Hing and Curry leaves . Add carrot chutney to the seasoning and fry for couple of minutes. It will dry out if any moisture is left.
Mix well and check for Salt and adjust accordingly .
To One cup Of Yogurt mix 1/4th Cup of Chopped Salad Cucumber , Onions , Tomato, 1/2 tbsp. Roasted Cumin Powder , Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves , Salt and Green Chilli paste 1/2 tbsp . Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and add 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds and 5 Curry Leaves . Cool the seasoning before adding to the Raita.
Grind handful coconut with 2 Green Chillies and Salt . Add to Curd . Heat One tbsp Oil and add Cumin seeds , Red chilli and Curry Leaves . Cool and add to Yogurt along with Chopped Coriander Leaves.
Mix well and check for Salt and adjust accordingly .