Bitter Gourd(Karela) stir fry with lentils Spice Powder is a quick and easy Version . It is a Simple recipe if you do Prep work ahead of time . It is one of my favorite vegetable and I cook at least Once a week as it is loved by my family . I already shared 2 Stuffed Karela recipes and One sweet version with different Soaking tips. I don’t peel the karela or remove the seeds . Marinade to reduce the bitterness . No need to wash with water after marinating . Don’t squeeze , so it will retain the shape . Pan fry in a wide pan in single layer and taste good as fried one.
It is one of nutritious vegetable and Pan frying retain the required nutrients of the vegetable . Bitter Gourd is very less in Calories ( If not deep fried) carrying just 17 Calories per 100 grams . Some People may not like it because of Bitterness . Adding Spices makes it more palatable . Outer skin and seeds are discarded due to high alkaloid content ,but can be enjoyed by marinating with correct Ingredients . Marinating reduces bitterness and Cooks fast. Discard the liquid after Marinating.
According to some Clinical studies Polypeptide , Charantin, Vicine present in it are believed to help in maintaining normal Blood Glucose . Because of its bitterness it is a good source of disease preventing and health promoting phyto chemical compounds. It is a unique vegetable fruit that can be used as food or medicine. If you are thinking of adding Bitter gourd or Bitter Melon to your diet , make sure you limit yourself for 4 to 5 times in a month. Source : HM.
Day before preparation :
Next day :
First thing in the Morning Season Karela with Salt and Soak in Butter milk mixture for One hour . or Overnight in refrigerator .Mix in between .Pan fry . While Karela is frying Grind Onions Coarsely . Cook everything together by adding Spice Powder and squeeze Juice of Lime etc.
Note : Pick medium , thin Bitter gourd which will be less Bitter . If your Curry is still Bitter sprinkle more spice Powder. Don’t for get to squeeze Juice of lime at the end .
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes( Day Before) Cooking Time : 15 Minutes ( Next day)
1. Karela( Bitter gourd) – 6.
2. Onion – 1 Big , Garlic cloves – 4 to 6 ( Peeled and Crushed)
3. Oil – 4 tbsp.
4. Salt as per taste
5. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
6. Juice of LIME – 1/2
7. Finely Chopped Coriander leaves
8. Curry leaves – 5
9. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
10 . SPICE POWDER – Dry roast Channa dal – 1 tbsp. , Toor dal – 1 tbsp. , Yellow Moong dal – 1tbsp , Coriander and Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Red chillies – 2 .
11. Garam Masala – 1/2 tbsp
1. Cut Karela into Circles and Season with Salt and Soak in Buttermilk , Tamarind , Jagggery mixture for One Hour or Just with Salt and Tamarind juice extract . Mix in between . This soaking will reduce bitterness of Bitter gourd , becomes soft and Cooks faster . After One hour discard the Buttermilk before pan frying Karela . No need to wash Karela( Bitter groud) .
2. Grind Onions Coarsely .
3. Grind Spices along with dry coconut (1/4th Cup)
4. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and fry Karela with lid Closed in a Wide pan in a single layer . Cook on Medium high flame . 3 Minutes on each side . Once brown uncover and cook till it is Crispy . Once Karela is Brown transfer to a Bowl .
5. In the same Pan fry Coarsely grinded Onions with 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , Turmeric, salt and Curry Leaves . Once Onions are brown add Crushed garlic Cloves and fry Couple of Minutes . Add fried Karela along with Spice Powder . Mix gently .
Squeeze Juice of Lime and finely Chopped Coriander Leaves . Check for Salt and adjust accordingly .
Note : You can add 1/2 tbsp. Garam Masala( Optional) .