Cluster Beans are known as Gavar in Hindi Guvar nu shaak in Gujarathi . Today’s recipe is Cluster Beans with Lentils and raw Mango is a Healthy recipe and requires Basic spices and minimum preparation. Do preparation day before and it will take 15 minutes to put everything together for next day Lunch/Dinner . I cook this vegetable at least once in a week because of its Health benefits . It helps in flushing unwanted toxins from the stomach and prevent digestion related problems. Low in GI and do not cause rapid fluctuations in Blood sugar levels when consumed .
Cluster Beans are annual legume and are very common in India especially in the regions of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra . The beans are smaller and flatten when compared to regular Green Beans and Indian Broad Beans . Trim the top and Bottom before cooking. Very creamy vegetable when cooked . I want to cook something different with Indian Cluster Beans so I paired up with lentils, spices and raw mango . As mangoes are in season . Tasty recipe and I’m going to cook frequently as it is loved by my family and different from regular Guvar recipes . It goes well with Steamed rice or Phulka or Plain paratha. Lentils known as Dal are staple in Indian diet and have high nutritional value anyone can benefit. Spices helps in digestion. Raw mangoes has its own Health benefits . The Vitamin C helps to improve the immune system . Unripe mangoes increases the secretion of bile acids and clean the intestines of bacterial infections. Interesting fact I read about mangoes are an Unripe mango yields as much Vitamin C as 35 apples , 3 Banana’s , 9 Lemons and 3 oranges .Source : Health Magazines .
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes ( Night Before)
and Cooking time :15 Minutes ( Next day for lunch/Dinner)
COOKING TIPS :
1. You can grind Spice Powder ahead of time and Mix with Grated Raw Mango and season with 1 tbsp. Oil ,Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds and Curry Leaves and refrigerate .
2. Pressure Cook Indian Cluster Beans , Drain out water if left after Pressure Cooking , Cool and refrigerate it . Next Day it will easy to Cook for Lunch / Dinner .
3. Grate the Carrot and Chop Onions and refrigerate . Gather all ingredients for seasoning and store in a box.
You can prepare the Curry in 15 Minutes for next day LUNCH/DINNER.
2 . Raw Mango – 1/2 Cup ( Grated or Grinded Coarsely)
3. Onion – 1 medium ( grind Coarsely)
4. Oil – 3 tbsp.
5. Salt to taste
6.Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
8. Curry leaves – 5 to 6
9. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp. ( Blend of Red chilli Powder , coriander , Cumin Powder , Salt , Garlic and Coriander Leaves)
10. Grated Carrot – 1/4 th Cup
11. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
12. SPICE POWDER : Dry roast 2 tbsp. Channa Dal , 2 tbsp. Urad dal , 1 tbsp. Coriander and Cumin seeds and 2 Red chillies .
Cool the Spices and grind with 1/4 th Cup Dry Coconut and 2 GREEN CHILLIES .
1. Pressure Cook Indian Cluster Beans with 1/4 th Cup Water and Little salt for 2 Whistles . When Pressure comes down Cool the Beans in a wide Plate .
2. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and fry Coarsely grinded Onion with 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , turmeric , Mustard seeds, Curry Leaves and Broken red chillies .
3. Once Onions are Brown add Cluster Beans and fry till water evaporates ( for 3 to 4 Minutes) .
4. Add Grated carrot and Cook for few Minutes . Add One more tbsp. of Oil.
5. Switch off the stove and add Spice Powder Mixed with Raw Mango and Curry Powder. Mix gently . Check for Salt and adjust . Garnish with finely chopped coriander Leaves .
SERVE with Steamed Rice or Phulka or Plain Paratha ( Indian Bread)