Tindora also known as Ivy gourd /Tondli/ Kundru is a green Vegetable popular in many parts of India . It is cultivated in Countries like tropical Africa/ Malaysia and other South east Asian Countries and China . Basically the plant is an Outdoor plant and the Vegetables are being used in Indian dishes and their Leaves /Stems/ roots are used in Ayurvedic medicine . As they age they turn to red Color inside and not good to eat . This Vegetable is strongly suggested to diabetic Patients because it has ability to minimize Blood Sugar levels. This is Particularly because of an essential liver enzyme contained in this particular food which standardizes the Sugar metabolism within your body by improving glucose production.Select medium thin Tindora. Tindora can be cooked as stuffed , Stir fry or Pickled. You can pan fry Tindora with minimum Oil along with Variety of Spices blends to produce dry Curry type . When Cooked Tindora will be Soft , Crunchy and the flavor comes from very well blended SPICE POWDER . It is a very delicate vegetable and don’t over spice it if you want to taste the Vegetable. SOURCE : HM
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes ( Night Before) Cooking Time : 15 Minutes ( Next Day)
1. Tindora – 5 Handfuls
2 . Onion- 1 Medium
3. Garlic Cloves – 4 ( Peeled and crushed )
4. Oil – 3 tbsp.
5. Salt as per taste
6. Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
8. Curry Leaves – 5
9. Finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves
10. Sesame seeds and ALMONDS Spice Powder –
Dry roast Almonds (10) , Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp. , Cumin and Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp. , Red chillies – 2 , Fenu greek seeds – 1/4 tbsp. . Cool the Spices and grind with 1/4 th Cup Dry Coconut , Tamarind ( Marble size) , Salt and 2 GREEN CHILLIES .
1. Soak Tindora for 10 Minutes and wash 4 to 5 times. Cut Tindora into Circles. Cook in a wide PAN with 2 tbsp. Oil and season with little salt .Cook on medium or Medium High flame with lid closed . Stir in between to avoid burning. Once Tindora is soft keep Lid half Open and fry till Brown .Transfer to a Bowl .
2. Grind ONIONS Coarsely. In the same pan Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and fry Coarsely grinded Onion with little Salt , Turmeric, Cumin seeds and Curry leaves . Once Onions are brown add crushed Garlic and fry for coupe of seconds.
3. Switch off the Stove and add Cooked Tindora , Spice Powder and Finely chopped Coriander Leaves . Mix gently . Check for Salt and adjust accordingly .
NOTE : Be careful with Salt as we are adding at every level.