WEEKEND LUNCH – BREAD SAMOSA( Makeover for traditional recipe) /Kids Lunch Box / Kids summer Lunch.Taste good with less work , served with Homemade Green Chilli Pickle and Ripe mango Moong Dal Salad .
Samosa is a popular street food of India which is deep fried with Spicy Potato filling that has Crispy and Outer flaky layer made with APF flour or Wheat flour served with Green Chutney and Sweet Chutney as an afternoon snack / appetizer / Tea time snack .
For today’s recipe I made a little change for Outer Covering . Instead of Using APF flour or Wheat flour I have used Bread as Outer covering believing shortcut to innovative dish is not to spend hours in Kitchen . I never tried samosa at home because of all the work . We enjoy this famous snack at restaurants /Movie theater . This week I decided to prepare at home by giving make over to the traditional dish . Believe me it tasted so good. The outer covering is Crispy like the traditional Samosa . The filling is very tasty prepared with Cooked Potato , green peas , Bell pepper and for flavor I added Ginger garlic paste and seasoned with Curry powder. For tanginess I added mango powder . While Samosa’s are traditionally fried I preferred to Pan fry Bread Samosa . No compromise in taste.
Serve these Snacks with Homemade Green chilli Pickle which is not Spicy and can be prepared in no time. As I planned for Weekend Lunch I Soaked Moong Dal to prepare salad with Ripe mango . Perfect combination for Bread Samosa.
Dry roast 2 tbsp. Coriander seeds, 2 tbsp. Cumin seeds , 1 tbsp. Fenugreek seeds , 2 tbsp. Mustard seeds, Fennel seeds . Cool the Spices and grind with little Salt in a Coffee Grinder .
Mix with Pinch of hing , Turmeric 1/4 th tbsp. and Squeeze Juice of Lime . To this Mixture add Chopped Green Chillies( 10) . Mix well . Store in a Clean jar and refrigerate .
1. Soak Half Cup Green Whole Moong Dal overnight . Wash and Microwave for 4 to 5 Minutes . For every One minute take out from Microwave and mix with Spoon or Pressure Cook for One or two Whistles with very little water and Salt.
2. Cool the Green Moong Dal . Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and add 1 tbsp. Mustard seeds , 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , Green Chillies ( 2 to 3 ) , Ginger – 2 tbsp.( Chopped) , Curry leaves .
3. Switch off the stove and add Cooked green Moong Dal , 1/4 th Cup Fresh Coconut and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
4. Check for Salt and adjust accordingly and Season with Freshly grounded Black Pepper and Italian Seasoning.
5. Add finely Chopped SALAD CUCUMBER and RIPE MANGO PIECES before SERVING.
FOR FILLING :
1. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Saute Onions – 1/2 Cup , Green Bell Pepper 1/2 Cup with 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , little salt , Turmeric 1/4 th tbsp. and Curry Leaves .
2. Once onions are Brown add 1 tbsp. ginger Garlic Paste and fry for Couple of Minutes .
3. Add Cooked and Mashed Potatoes (3) and 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas , 1 tbsp. Curry Powder , 1 tbsp. Mango Powder and finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .
Check for salt and adjust accordingly .
1. Drizzle Water on 6 Bread Slices and press between your Hands .
2. Divide the Potato filling into 6 equal portions.
3. Place the Potato filling on the edges of Bread and fold in triangle and seal the edges with wet FINGERS.
4. Heat Pan and drizzle some Oil and Pan fry the Bread Samosa on both sides . You can fry 3 at a time . Cook on Medium Heat .
5. SERVE with HOMEMADE GREEN CHILLIE PICKLE and RIPE MANGO MOONG DAL SALAD .