Sambar is one of the most loved dish and a popular South Indian recipe. It is a lentil based stew prepared with Cooked Lentils, Variety of Vegetables , tamarind ,Sambar powder( Spiced powder prepared by dry roasting Spices and blended into a fine powder) Jaggery( Brown Sugar) and tempering with Ghee , whole Red chillies and Hing. Sambar is usually served with Steamed rice or with Idli, Dosa and Vada are popular south Indian Breakfast. Today I’m sharing my version of Sambar recipe in 3 easy steps which you can prepare ahead of time and refrigerate it and bring to boil before Lunch/ Dinner .
The INGREDIENTS are numbered 15 , but they are just DALS, VEGETABLES and SPICES . I have used two types of Dals and Prepared Masala by roasting spices and blending with tomatoes and dals and mixed with variety of vegetables . For best results add tempering with ghee and pour to the sambar before refrigerating so it will become flavorful . What I love about this recipe is it stays good for more than 3 days . I don’t like to eat any vegetable next day , but I like to eat sambar with my lunch/ dinner every single day along with Raita , Stir Fry Vegetable. This recipe is a Quick Friday night Dinner with Left Over Vegetables.
Here is my recipe . Recipe for Daliya mixed Dal Dosa
Preparation time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes
1. Toor Dal – One Handful , Channa Dal – One Handful
2. Green Squash ( Lauki) – Medium
3. Tomatoes – 2
4. Onion -1 Medium
5. Potatoes -3
6. Baby Carrots – 20
7. Garlic – 3
8. Ginger – small piece
9. Oil – 2 tbsp.
10. Ghee – 1 tbsp.
11. Dry coconut or Fresh Coconut – 2 tbsp. and tamarind
12. Seasoning – Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. , Hing – Pinch , Red chillies – 2 , Cuury Leaves – 5
13. Water – 2 glasses (16 Ounces)
14. Finely Chopped coriander Leaves
15. SPICES TO GRIND : Dry roast Cumin seeds , Coriander seeds – 1tbsp each , Fenugreek and Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp. each , Pepper cons – 5 , Red chillies -2 to 4 . Cool and grind with 2 tbsp Coconut , 3 cloves of Garlic , Small piece of ginger , tamarind and Jaggery .
2. Chop the Vegetables ( Green Squash, Carrots, Potato and Onion )
3.. Grind the Spices with Coconut, Tamarind , Jaggery ,Garlic – 3 and small piece of Ginger. Add 1/2 glass Water and grind to fine Paste. Add tomatoes and Cooked Dal and Blend with Half more glass water . To this Masala Paste add Salt , Turmeric , 1 tbsp. Curry Powder .
4. Add Vegetables and One more glass water . Refrigerate or Bring to Boil if you want to serve immediately.
5. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp. Ghee and Splutter Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds, Urad dal , Red chillies, Hing and Curry Leaves. Add the seasoning to the Sambar . Check for Salt and Sweetness and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely Chopped coriander Leaves .
ENJOY YOUR LUNCH /DINNER with less work .