Serve with Tomato Dal , Steamed Rice , Phulka , Raita and Papad.
Spinach is a Versatile leafy vegetable that can be used in Stir fry, Curries, dals and Chutney. It is available fresh, frozen or Canned .Try this Nutritious , Healthy and appetizing Spinach Pickle which you can prepare in less than 30 Minutes. Added Spices for extra taste and aroma. If you want to store more days adjust the Curry Powder and Oil . I have used Home made Curry Powder and Spice Powder . Stays good in the refrigerator for 4 to5 days. Add Chopped Onions to the Pickle before you serve if you want to refrigerate for 4 to 5 days. I added Lime juice for tanginess. There is a compound in Spinach called Oxalic acid which breaks the absorption of Calcium and Iron. An easy way to solve this problem is to pair Spinach with food high in Vitamin C. Another way to reduce Oxalic acid is to Cook Spinach for at least 2 Minutes. Iron deficiency is a common cause of Hair loss , which can be prevented by adequate intake of iron rich foods like Spinach. Good for digestion and protects the mucus lining of the Stomach , so you can stay free from Ulcers. Source : Health Magazines.
PREPARATION and COOKING time : 30 Minutes .
1. Spinach – One full box pre washed Organic Spinach or 15 handfuls Spinach . Wash and dried .
2. SPICE POWDER : Dry roast Handful of Urad dal, Almonds (5), Walnuts (5). When Urad dal , Almonds and walnuts are half fried add 1 tbsp. Cumim seeds, 2 tbsp. Sesame seeds, Fenu greek seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. . Cool the Spices and grind with tamarind( Marble size) .
3. Oil – 5 tbsp. or accordingly
4. Salt as per taste
5. Turmeric – 1/2 tbsp.
6. Curry Powder – 2 tbsp. ( Blend of Red chilli Powder, Coriander , Cumin Powder, Garlic cloves and fresh Coriander )
7.Juice of LIME – 1
8. Onions – 1/2 Chopped
9. Garlic cloves – 5 to 6 ( Peeled and crushed )
10 . SEASONING – Channa dal – Handful , Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Hing , Broken Red chillies – 6 , Curry leaves .
1. Dry roast Spices mentioned under Spices . Cool them and grind in a Blender . Transfer to a Bowl.
2. Cook Spinach uncovered with little Salt , Turmeric and 1 tbsp. Oil . Cool Spinach before Grinding . Once Cooled gind Coarsely and transfer to Spice Powder. Mix well .
3. Heat Oil and add Channa Dal . Once Channa Dal is Brown add Mustard seeds, Urad dal , Cumin seeds, Broken red chillies, Hing , Curry Leaves and Crushed Garlic .
4. Add Coarsely grinded Spinach along with Spice Powder to the Seasoning and fry for Couple of Minutes.
5. Add 2 tbsp. Curry powder . Mix well . Squeeze Juice of lime . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
NOTE : Add Chopped Onions before serving. STORE in a Air tight container and refrigerate.
with Tomato dal, Phulka ( Indian Bread) , Steamed rice, Raita and Papad.