Puffed rice is widely used in countries like India. It is made from rice. It is usually made by heating rice kernel under high pressure of steam . Puffed rice is formed by the reaction of both starch and moisture when heated within the shell of the grain . It is low in Calories, fat free and Low in sodium. It is high in GI and absorbed and digested easily . So choose Brown Puffed rice instead White. Brown rice is the whole kernel high in fiber, vitamins and Minerals. To make it NUTRITIONAL for Kids Lunch Box I added more VEGETABES , Cooked Beans, Boiled potato and Raw Mango for sourness. The Vitamin C in raw mangoes help to improve the Immune system. Unripe mangoes helps in treating liver disorders because it increases the secretion of bile acids and cleans the intestines of bacterial infections. Do preparation ahead of time night before. Cooking Beans and Potato . Wash puffed rice and squeeze water by placing between Palms and store in box. Chop vegetables . It is a simple and easy recipe you can prepare with everyday ingredients.
Source : Health Magazines
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes .
Recipe for 3 People .
2. Cooked Beans – 1 Cup
3. Boiled and Crumbled Potato – 2
4. Vegetables – 1 Cup
5. Grated RAW MANGO – 1/4 th Cup
6. Rasam Powder or Curry Powder – 1/2 to 1 tbsp.
7. Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp.
8. Onions – 1/2 Cup chopped
9. Tomato – 1 Chopped
10 . Finely Chopped Coriander leaves .
METHOD : 1. Soak 1/2 cup Mixed Beans overnight and Pressure cook them in the morning with little water and 2 Potatoes . When Pressure comes down transfer beans into a bowl . Crumble the Potato’s . DONT PEEL the skin of potato if it is edible.
2Wash Puffed rice 4 to 5 times . Squeeze Water by placing them in between Palms . So they will hold shape.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Saute Onions with little salt, Curry Leaves , Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds . Once Onions are brown add Finely Chopped Vegetables and cook uncovered.
4. COOK on a Medium flame and add Puffed rice, Cooked Beans , GRATED RAW MANGO , Crumbled Potato , Little Salt and curry Powder. Add one more tbsp. Oil . Mix gently for Couple of Minutes and switch off the stove. Add Handful of Roasted peanuts for crunchiness.
5. Check for salt and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander leaves.