I have a big Green Squash in the refrigerator and I want to Prepare Sambar ( Vegetable Stew) with Squash and left over Vegetables. A quick fix for dinner. Perfect combination for Sambar is Idli . Idli is a traditional Breakfast ( We can even eat for Lunch/Dinner) made in every South Indian household and is popular through out India. Idli is prepared by fermenting Lentils and Rice ( Soaking, Grinding and Fermenting the Batter)and steamed. I don’t have fermented batter( I soak Urad Dal n Split Green Moong Dal for an hour ) to prepare Idli , so I look into my Pantry to prepare Instant Idli. I never tried Idli with Oats . Thought I will give a try. Oats are bland in taste so I added Semolina , Red rice Poha( Fattened rice) , Chopped Vegetables and Yogurt . Yogurt cut down the blandness of Oats and gives tangy taste like fermented Idli’s . Tempering adds additional flavor and I added Eno for Light and Soft Idli’s . Some interesting facts I read about Oats it is high in Soluble fiber which may help lower bad Cholesterol and helps you feeling full for longer . It is low in GI. Oats have incredible Health benefits which can improve blood pressure control , reduce the risk of cardio vascular disease . Semolina is made from durum wheat a hard variety of Wheat . It is low in fat with Vitamins E and B . Red rice poha is a special variety of rice high in fiber because of the bran and good source of Iron. If you want to enjoy Instant Oats and Poha Idli make it Tasty and Healthy as Possible.
I have shared recipe for both Instant Oats Idli and Instant Green Squash Sambar.
Recipe for 24 Idli’s . Preparation time : 10 Minutes Cooking Time : 13 Minutes .
1. Red Rice Poha or Poha of your Choice -1/2 cup
2. Oats – 1 /2 measuring Cup
3. Semolina( Sooji) or Fine cracked Wheat – One measuring cup
4. Urad Dal -One cup and Split Green Moong Dal -1/2 cup ( Soak for an hour and grind into smooth batter with enough water n Salt ) . I added Dals , otherwise we are just eating Carbs without protein.
4. Curd – 1 Cup if you don’t want to ferment.
5. Water – add accordingly
5. Salt to taste
6. Oil – 2 tbsp.
7. Eno Salt – 1 tbsp. Note : if you don’t want to use ENO , ferment batter overnight. Fermented batter – Soft n fluffy Idli’s
8. Green Chillies – 2 Chopped
9. Ginger – 2 tbsp. ( Optional)
10. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1/4 th Cup
11. TEMPERING : Urad dal , Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Channa Dal – 2 tbsp. , Curry Leaves – 5
12.Finely chopped Vegetables of your choice( optional )
2. Heat tbsp. Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Urad dal , Channa Dal , Cashews (Optional) , Curry Leaves. When Lentils turn light red add Green Chillies , ginger and Curry Leaves. Add Sooji and fry till light Brown. Cool the Mixture.
3. Wash Red rice poha .
4. Mix Urad Dal batter , Red rice Poha , Oats Powder, Curd, Grated Carrot and Chopped Vegetables to Sooji Mixture . Mix well . If needed add Water Slowly and Mix without Lumps . Check for Salt and adjust accordingly . Keep aside for few minutes till you grease the Plates with Oil .
5. Grease Idli Plates with little Oil.
6. Add Eno fruit salt to the batter and Mix well .
7. Pour 4 tbsp. spoonful of batter in each mould. Stack the Plates and Place in a Pressure Cooker . 8. STEAM without Pressure for 13 Minutes on High Flame.8. After 13 minutes Switch off the stove . Let it rest for 10 Minutes. With the help of a Wet spoon Scoop out the Idli’s .
SERVE them with Instant Green Squash ( LAUKI) Sambar.
1. Sambar Paste :Dry Roast 1/4 th cup Channa Dal , 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds and Coriander seeds each , 10 Pepeer cons, 2 Red chillies , 1/4 th tbsp. Mustard seeds, 5 Fenu greek seeds . Cool the Spices and grind with Marble Size Tamarind, 2 tbsp Dry or fresh coconut , little Salt and 1/2 Glass Water .
2. Chop Medium Size Onion, 2 Tomatoes, Baby Carrots , 3 Potaotes and Big Green Squash
3. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and fry Onions with Little salt and 1/4 th tbsp. Turmeric. Once Onions are Brown add 4 Crushed Garlic and 2 tbsp. Chopped Ginger. Fry for Couple of Minutes.
4. Add all Chopped Vegetables, Sambar Paste , 2 tbsp. Jaggery or Brown Sugar, Curry Leaves and One more Glass Water. Bring to Boil .
5. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp. Ghee and Splutter Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each , BROKEN Red Chillies – 4 , Hing . Add this tempering to Vegetable Sambar. Check for salt and Sweetness and adjust accordingly.