Indian Cluster Beans is an annual legume and are very common in India especially in the regions of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra . Cluster Beans are known as Gavar in Hindi and Guvar nu shaak in Gujarathi. This vegetable is obtained year round . It is Heart healthy because it is low in Calories , fat and good source of fiber and Protein. Healthy vegetable for diabetics because it helps in controlling Blood sugar levels in the body . Low in GI . Good source of Iron and Calcium and fills up the deficiencies of these minerals and increase Hemoglobin production. it is helpful in keeping the digestion tract Healthy and prevent certain illnesses related to digestion . Source : Health Magazines .
Indian Cluster Beans are soft, Creamy and Bland vegetable . Eating plain is not going to satisfy you . So we need to add ingredients to make it delicious . This recipe needs every day ingredients and serves 4 . I already shared 2 recipes with Indian Cluster Beans . Today I’m sharing a little sweeter Version of Spice Powder with Almonds and Jaggery (Brown Sugar) . Pick tender Cluster Beans and trim the top and bottom side. Matured cluster Beans are chewy. FAST way to cook is Pressure cook with very little water . Cool them in a wide plate so the Curry won’t be Mushy . Dry roast Almonds, Peanuts and sesame seeds and Spices . When spices are dry roasted the flavor will be at Peak and add great flavor and taste to the Curry. Another STAR INGREDIENT for the recipe is garlic chutney powder . Simple , easy and tasty side dish that you can enjoy with Phulka or Plain Paratha .
Here is the Recipe for 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 15 Minutes
1. Indian Cluster Beans – 5 Handfuls
2. Baby Potatoes / Potatoes of your choice
3. Onion – 1 Medium ( grind Coarsely)
4. Garlic – 4 ( Peeled and Crushed)
5. Salt as per taste
6. Oil – 3 tbsp.
7. Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each
8. Turmeric Powder – 1/4 th tbsp.
9. Garlic Chutney Powder – 2 tbsp.
10 . Finely chopped Coriander leaves
11. Juice of Lime – 1/2
SPICE POWDER – Dry roast Handful of Peanuts, Almonds , 2 tbsp. Sesame seeds, 1 tbsp. Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds – 1tbsp 2 Red chillies .Cool the spices and grind with 1/4 th Cup dry coconut , 2 tbsp. Garlic Chutney Powder and 2 tbsp. of Jaggery /Brown Sugar .
METHOD:1. Cut Indian cluster Beans ( 2 INCH size) and Pressure Cook with Baby Potatoes , little Salt and very little water for 2 Whistles. When Pressure comes down Cool the Cluster Beans and Baby Potatoes in a wide Plate.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and fry Coarsely grinded Onions with little Salt , Cumin and Mustard seeds, Turmeric , Crushed Garlic and Curry Leaves .
3. Once Onions are brown add Cluster Beans with Baby Potato . Add One more tbsp. Oil and fry till it is dry ( take about 3 to 5 minutes)
4.After 5 minutes add spice powder and Mix gently . Switch off the stove and garnish with finely Chopped Coriander Leaves.
5. Squeeze juice of Lime and Check for Salt and Sweetness and adjust accordingly . SERVE with INDIAN BREAD (Phulka or Plain Paratha)