Today I’m sharing Kids Lunch Box / Kids Summer Lunch Cauliflower Brown Basmati Rice Vegetable Pulav. I tried Cauliflower rice without grains and not satisfied as it tasted like stir fry . So this time I prepared like pulav (with more Cauliflower and less grains) and happy with the outcome. I added whole Garam Masala as it is for Kids Lunch Box. This Pulav with Carrot raita is good Lunch Box option ( taste good at room temperature ) as the rice and Yellow Peas are perfectly cooked and not over spiced.
Need of Carbohydrates for Growing Bodies: For a Healthy and Balanced diet Kids need to eat a variety of Nutritious Carbohydrates. Children need Carbohydrates to stay alert and active throughout the day. Carbohydrates are broken down by body into Simple sugars .These sugars circulate in the blood stream and are used by body’s cells for energy. Vegetables are good source of fiber so as legumes/Beans are low in GI and good source of Protein. Diary products contain Carbohydrates called Lactose . Fruits contain carbohydrates in the form of fructose and glucose. The brain use these simple sugars as its main energy source. Source : Health Magazines.
Recipe for 2 to 3 People . As it is for Kids Lunch Box I added only Whole Garam Masala and no Biryani Masala .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes ( Day Before) Cooking time : 15 Minutes( Next day)
1. Soak dried green or yellow peas( I used dry green peas because there is recall on some frozen vegetables) and cook for 6 minutes in Microwave . Soak Brown Basmati rice. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and add Whole Garam masala( Cloves – 5 , Cardamom – 2 , Bay leaves – 2 and Cinnamon stick – 3 Small ) to the oil . Add this tadka ( seasoning) to rice and Cook Rice with Soaked dried green Peas in RICE COOKER . Cool and refrigerate.
2. Cut Cauliflower florets into small florets . Place a Paper towel in a Ziplock bag and store Cauliflower florets in Ziplock Bag . Don’t wash them . Wash before cooking.
3. Chop Bell Pepper and Grate Baby carrots and refrigerate .
4. Prepare CARROT RAITA day before. To One Cup of Yogurt add 1/4 th Cup Onions , 1/4 cup Grated carrots , little Salt and Finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
2. Brown Basmati rice – 1/2 Cup raw
3. Dried Yellow Peas – 1/4 th Cup ( Soak overnight and cook in Microwave for 6 minutes)
4. Bell Pepper – 1/2 Cup
5. Grated Baby carrots – 10
6 . Salt
7. Oil – 1 tbsp.
8. Finely chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves
1. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Cook Cauliflower florets with lid closed for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with very little Salt . ( Careful with Salt as we have Cooked rice with little salt).
2. After 3 minutes remove the lid and fry Cauliflower till light golden brown .
3.Add Bell pepper and Grated Carrots. Fry for couple of minutes .
4.Add Cooked rice along with Peas . Mix gently .
5. Garnish with Finely chopped Coriander Leaves and Mint Leaves .