Soup makes the ideal family Lunch and great way to sneak in Vegetables and Beans for Kids .Researchers found that Soup consumers have better over all eating habits because Soup has all essential vitamins , minerals , Protein , fiber with fewer Calories and fat. It takes long time to consume and makes you feel fuller and satisfied after consumption of bowl of Soup.
Today’s recipe is Green split pea soup with Mixed Beans and Barley. Barley is a delicious Whole Grain with lots of fiber and Health benefits . It cooks faster like any other grains. According to WHO Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional disorder in the world. Lentils are good Source of Iron . Iron deficiency can make you feel weak and tired. Our bodies cannot absorb as much of the iron from plant based lentils . So pair up your lentils with a food rich in Vitamin C. Soup is prepared with 5 main ingredients and Home made Marinara Sauce . Store in a air tight Container for long shelf life . Or you can use Store bought Sauce. Simple Soup recipe that you can enjoy with your family with less work.
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 10 Minutes Cooking time : 10 Minutes .
Cooking Tips :
Cook Beans day before, Cool and add all Vegetables, Water and Marinara sauce . Season with Spices and refrigerate . Bring to boil before you serve for Lunch .
1. Green Split Peas – 1/4 th Cup
2. Mixed Beans – 1/4 th cup
3. Barley – 2 Hand fuls
4 . Onions – 1/2 Cup ( Chopped)
5. Tomato – 1 ( diced) and Bell peppers – 1/2 Cup ( Chopped)
6. Marinara Sauce – 1/2 Cup ( Home made or store bought)
7. Rasam Powder or Sambar Powder or Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
8 Mixed Herbs – 1 tbsp.
9. Salt to taste
10 . Freshly grounded Black pepper -1/2 tbsp.
11 . Water – 2 1/2 to 3 Glasses ( 24 Ounces ) or adjust accordingly .
1. Home made Marinara Sauce : Bring water to boil . Keep the tomatoes in boiling water for couple of minutes . Remove them into bowl . Cool them and peel the skin and crumble the tomatoes.
Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and add Crushed Garlic cloves( 4 ) , Red chilli flakes , Onions and Bell Pepper . Fry for couple of minutes. Add crushed tomatoes . Season with salt , Black pepper and Italian seasoning . Cook until Sauce thickens . Cool and store in an air tight Container .
2. Soak Split green Peas , Mixed Beans and Barley Overnight . Wash and Pressure cook with little salt and One glass water .
3. When Pressure comes down transfer Beans along with Water to a sauce Pan and add 2 more glasses Water.
4. Add Chopped Onions, Tomato , Bell Peppers ,Marinara Sauce . Season with Salt , Curry Powder. Bring it to Boil .
5. Switch off the stove and add Italian seasoning and Freshly grounded Black Pepper. Check for salt and adjust accordingly .Garnish with Finely chopped Coriander Leaves .