Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Sambar is a Lentil based Stew prepared with Variety of Vegetables or one or two vegetables, Cooked Dal and Sambar Powder. It is served with Breakfast like Idli , dosa , Vada or even with steamed rice. Today I’m sharing an Instant recipe when we don’t have time for Soaking and Cooking dal. It taste like regular Sambar recipe and no compromise in taste. This Instant sambar will be great help when we love to have tasty food with less work. The taste of Sambar depends on the sambar Powder ,tamarind and Jaggery. In my recipe I have used homemade Sambar powder which doesn’t require much time to roast and grind , gives nice flavor and taste . Add a variety of Vegetables which are low in Calories and rich in dietary fiber and you feel fuller for longer time. Along with Carbohydrates, Protein , fat we need to include Vegetables for intestinal health, immunity and nutrient absorption. I served this sambar with Dosa which is prepared with lentils , rice and fermented . Fermented dosa has unique flavor and taste .It taste good when served warm . Instant Sambar is a Simple easy recipe to cook for Lunch/ Dinner.
Here is the recipe.
Preparation time : 15 Minutes Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
1. Drumsticks – 4 ( Cut into 16 Pieces)
2. Onions – 1/2 Cup chopped
3. Crushed Garlic Cloves – 4
4. Homemade Sambar Powder – Dry roast 1 tbsp. Channa Dal, Coriander and Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Mustard and Fenu greek seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Black pepper cons- 5 Red chillies -2 . Cool the Spices and grind with 1 tbsp. dry coconut, Ginger – small Piece , Garlic cloves – 2 .
5. Tamarind – Marble size ( Soak in 1/2 glass Warm water )
6. Jaggery / Brown Sugar – 2 tbsp.
7. Chickpea flour – 2 tbsp.
8. Rice flour – 2 tbsp.
9. Vegetables – Green Squash – 1 ( Peel the skin and Cut into 4 Inch Pieces), Baby Carrots – 10 , Tomatoes – 2 ( Diced) , Potato – 1 ( thinly sliced , so it will be cooked fast with other Vegetables) 10. Oil – 2 tbsp. and Ghee – 1 tbsp.
11. Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
12. Seasoning ( Tadka) – Urad dal, Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Red chillies – 2 , Hing – Pinch , Curry Leaves – 5
1. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and fry Onions with Crushed Garlic. Once Onions are brown add Chickpea flour , rice flour and fry till raw smell goes. Then add tamarind Pulp , Jaggery , Home made sambar Powder , Turmeric, Salt and 1 glass Water . Bring to Boil .
2. Now add all Vegetables ( Drum stick, Tomatoes, Green Squash , Carrots and Potato ) .
3. Check the Consistency and add Water accordingly . Mix well and Cook until Vegetables are Soft and Cooked ( Check drumstick and Potato) .
4. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Ghee in a sauce pan and add all Ingredients mentioned under Seasoning . Add this Seasoning to the Sambar .