Today I’m sharing a simple Dal recipe which is loved by everyone. It is combination of Healthy Spinach, Protein from lentils , Home made curry powder , Lemon and Ghee makes it healthier and ultimate comfort food which you can prepare in less time for Lunch/Dinner. It is a perfect accompaniment for steamed rice or with Phulka or Plain Paratha ( Indian Bread) . It is a simple recipe which can be prepared easily by first time Cook . Serve with Stir fry vegetable , Plain rasam , Papad , Pickle and Raita .
Recipe for 4 to 5 People .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes and Cooking time : 15 Minutes
1. Toor Dal, Channa Dal and Yellow Moond Dal – 1/2 Cup or One Handful each ( Soak for 30 minutes)
2. Onion – 1 ( Chopped)
3. Roma tomatoes – 3 ( diced)
4. Garlic – 6 ( Peeled and Crushed)
5. Ginger – 2 tbsps. ( Grated )
6. Oil – 2 tbsp. and Ghee – 1/2 to 1 tbsp.
7. Spinach – 5 handfuls ( washed and Chopped)
8. Seasoning ( Tadka) – Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Red chillies – 2 , Hing – Pinch
9. Curry leaves – 5 and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
10. Salt as per taste and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
11 . Juice of Lime – 1
12. Green Chilli Paste – 1 tbsp. , Rasam or sambar Powder – 1/2 tbsp. , Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
1.Soak Toor Dal, Channa Dal and Yellow Moong dal for 30 minutes .Wash 4 to 5 times and Pressure cook with One glass Water for 2 whistles on medium High flame.
2.Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp Ghee . Then add Crushed Garlic followed by Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds , Red chillies , Hing , Green Chilli Paste , Ginger , Curry Leaves . Fry for Couple of Minutes . Then add finely chopped onions , Salt and Turmeric. Mix and cook until Onions are light Brown .
3. Once Onions are brown add Chopped Spinach and tomatoes. Cook for few minutes and add Rasam or Sambar Powder and curry Powder and add Cooked Dal . Mix well and cook for 7 to 10 minutes . Stir in between to avoid burning.
4. After 7 to 10 Minutes switch off the stove and add finely chopped coriander leaves.
5. Cool some time and squeeze Juice of lime . Check for Salt and spices and adjust accordingly .
Note : Don’t add any water while cooking Dal with Vegetables . Spinach and tomatoes will release water which will be sufficient. Stir in between to avoid burning.