Onion chutney is a great accompaniment to idli , vada and Dosa. Today I’m sharing a little Sweet and Sour Onion chutney with Almonds. roasting nuts makes them to digest easily . Dry roast Cumin and Coriander seeds and you will know they are done when they start smelling toasty and are fragrant . Cook Onions over medium heat with ( lid covered) little Salt and turmeric for few minutes , you’ll notice the pungent flavor of Onions is gone and Cook uncovered until they are brown and at this point switch off the stove and add tamarind and Jaggery . You will notice the Caramel flavor of Onions starting to emerge . Cool the spices and Onions before blending. Grinding Onions Coarsely is very important so they will have texture .
Lentils have high nutritional value any one can benefit . Due its fiber and Complex carbohydrates lentils increase steady slow burning energy . Soaking and fermenting dosa is very Healthy because of Probiotics. But you have to eat in moderation. Fermented foods are predigested by bacteria and easier to digest. Grains , Beans and Legumes contain Phytic acid a nutrient which binds up minerals preventing your body from fully absorbing them. Phytic acid can be effectively mitigated through 3 different traditional processes . Sprouting, Soaking and fermenting. Source : HM.
Recipe for 3 to 4 Dosa’s . Recipe for 4 People ( Onion Chutney)
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes .
Recipe for ONION ALMOND CHUTNEY: Combination of different tastes . Great accompaniment for any Breakfast recipes or with Steamed rice or with Plain or stuffed Your favorite foods will come alive with the Combination of this Chutney .
1. Onion – 1 Big( Chopped)
2. Almonds – 15
3. Coriander and Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each
4. Red chillies – 2 4. Jaggery ( Brown sugar) – 2 tbsp.
5. Tamarind – Marble size
6. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Curry Leaves – 5
8. Finely chopped coriander leaves
9. Oil – 3 tbsp.
10 . Seasoning ( Tadka) – Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each , Red chillies and Hing – Pinch
1. Dry roast almonds and transfer to a bowl
2. Dry roast Coriander and cumin seeds , Red chillies and transfer to a Almonds bowl . Cool the spices before you grind .
3. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and sauté Onions with little salt and Turmeric for 2 to 3 Minutes. Mix in between . After 3 minutes uncover and fry Onions till light Brown . Switch off the stove and add deseeded TAMARIND and JAGGERY to Onions. Cool the ONION mixture before grinding.
4. In a blender grind Almonds with Coriander , cumin and red chillies . Transfer to a Bowl .
5 Grind Onion Coarsely . Transfer to Spice bowl and mix well .
6. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and splutter Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds , Red chillies and Hing. Switch off the stove and add Curry Leaves and finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
7. Now add the Onion Mixture to Seasoning ( Tadka ) and fry for couple of minutes . SERVE with Vermicelli DOSA .
1. Fermented Dosa Batter – 1 Cup
2. Vermicelli – 1/2 Cup
5. Oil for frying Dosa’s .
1. Mix 1/2 cup Vermicelli to 1 Cup Dosa Battter and leave aside for One hour or Overnight in refrigerator . After 30 minutes Check for the consistency and add Water . The batter must be pouring consistency like Dosa Batter .
2. After One hour or overnight your batter will be ready. Heat Pan and grease with little Oil . Start with small dosa . Cook on Medium High heat .
3. For second dosa , Sprinkle some water to bring the temperature down .
SERVE Vermicelli Dosa with ONION ALMOND Chutney.