Last week me and My family went to farm and bought farm fresh organic tomatoes and other Vegetables . The tomatoes are ripe and flavorful .I used in Curries, Dal and Rasam and still has some left. I want to try a recipe which I never tried before especially for Kids Lunch Box. I heard about tomato rice , but never tried. I use to wonder how Cooked rice , tomato and spices taste good. But I tried. Believe me now it is one of my favorite rice recipes and approved by my kids . I served with raita and Papad. It is a kid friendly recipe as I have used mild spices but still delicious and flavorful with minimum Ingredients . Give it a try because it is a Simple and easy recipe if you do preparations night before and it will take 10 minutes to Cook in the morning. Here is the recipe .
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 15 minutes
2 . Tomatoes – 3
3 . Onion – Medium ( Cut length wise)
4. Garlic cloves – 2 ( grated)
5. Ginger – 1 tbsp. ( Grates)
6. Sambar Powder or Rasam Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
7. Pav Bhaji masala – 1/2 tbsp.
8. Oil – 3 tbsp.
9. Curry Leaves – 5 and finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
10. Seasoning : Channa Dal – Handful , Peanuts – Handful , Urad dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin and Mustard seeds- 1 tbsp. each , Red chillies – 2 .
1. Soak Basmati rice for 10 minutes and wash 3 to 4 times . Drain all water and add 2 cups Water for 1 Cup rice , 1 tbsp. Oil . I cooked in Rice cooker. Once Rice Cooked Cool it down before adding to the Vegetables . So the rice will have the texture .
2. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and add Channa Dal , Peanuts . When Channa dal and Peanuts are light brown add Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds, Red chillies , Curry Leaves and Onions.
4. Once Onions are Brown add Finely chopped tomatoes , Season with Salt , Sambar powder , Pav Bhaji Masala and 2 more tbsp. Oil . Mix well and cover with lid .
5. Once tomatoes are soft and well cooked add Cooked and Cooled Basmati Rice and mix well , so the rice is coated with tomato mixture . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves. Wait 10 minutes before you serve . So the rice will absorb the juices of tomato and spices and will be fluffy .