Dumplings are small pieces of dough often wrapped around a filling . Dumplings can be savory or sweet and can be eaten by themselves or with a gravy or sauce or in soups and stews. Today I’m sharing a simple and easy Steamed dumpling which doesn’t has any outer covering or filling. But prepared with different flours and finely chopped vegetables which can be prepared in less time and steamed for 15 to 20 minutes on High . Usually I prepare Paratha ( Indian Bread) with flours and vegetables. I thought I will give a try by steaming ( Less time to spend in Kitchen ) . Fingers crossed and had a back up plan for Lunch ( Sandwich) if it fails . But it didn’t failed me . Happy about the Outcome . My kids too enjoyed it and added to Lunch Box recipe list . Just serve with Ketchup . Eating steamed dumplings give you access to Healthy carbohydrates a macro nutrient your body requires for energy and boost your Protein content for strong immune system and promotes lean muscle . I added good amount of Vegetables in the recipe which are rich in Phytonutrients and Carrots beneficial for your eyes because of high vitamin A content. Zucchini is a very popular squash and belongs to the family of Melons and cucumber . Because of high water content it helps in hydrating the skin and keeps Skin healthy .
Here is the Simple recipe you can prepare in less than 15 minutes and Steaming ( Cooking )time 15 to 20 minutes .
Recipe for 36 to 48 dumplings .
Preparation time : 15 minutes Steaming time : 15 to 20 minutes on High .
1. Jowar Flour – 1/2 up
2. Chickpea flour and Rice flour – 1/2 cup
3. Wheat flour – 1/4 th cup
4. Big Zucchini – 1 ( Grated) or Green Squash ( Lauki)
5. Finely chopped Onions – 1/4 th Cup
6. Grated Carrot – 1/2 Cup
7. Finely chopped Coriander Leaves – 3 Handfuls
8. Ajwain – 1/2 tbsp.
9. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp and Salt .
10. Oil – 1 tbsp.
11. Water – 3 tbsp ( if needed)
1. Mix Jowar flour, Chickpea and Rice flour , Wheat flour with Salt , Ajwain , Curry Powder, Grated Zucchini, Finely chopped Onions , Grated Carrots, Finely chopped Coriander leaves .
2. Mix well like a Chapathi dough . If needed add 2 to 3 tbsp Water.
3. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Grease Your Hands with little Oil and roll the dough like a small log and Place in Idli Moulds ( Grease Idli Plates with little Oil) and steam for 20 minutes on High .
4. After 20 minutes switch off the stove . When Pressure releases , remove Idli Plates from Pressure cooker and let the dumplings cool before you slice them .