Brinjal is a Unique food rich in antioxidants. Good source of dietary fiber , Vitamin B1 , B6 and Vitamin k . Some people call Brinjal as eggplant . It is meaty and cooks faster than eggplant . You can Bake , Stuff or use in stir fry recipes. Select Brinjal which are long , thin and dark Purple Color . The stem must be bright green in Color . Wrap unwashed Brinjal in a paper towel and into Plastic bag . They stay fresh for 10 days. Today I shared a simple stir fry recipe that goes well with Steamed rice or Plain Paratha . I have used 6 tbsp. oil . You can Prepare with 4 tbsp. Oil by washing the lid with Water , so Brinjal will be cooked with the steam and less Oil . Read the Method carefully so you can enjoy Perfect stir fry and not Mushy one. Spend more time with family and friends this Holiday season and less in Kitchen . Easy and satisfying meal you can prepare in a flash with fresh ingredients and Pantry staples.
I’m sharing one more recipe Snake gourd raita . It is taste less vegetable with lot of health benefits. So I tried this vegetable more palatable by adding it to Yogurt and other Spices ( Raita) . It is a low calorie vegetable and helps lessen body weight and at the same time you will get sufficient nutrition. Boiling the vegetable is necessary to avoid distressing smell . How to select a Good snake gourd. The color shouldn’t be too dark and it should be light green . The thinner the Snake gourd the lesser amount of seeds it ‘ll contain. It is a good source of Vitamins and Minerals .
Recipe for Eggplant Curry :
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 15 Minutes
1. Eggplant ( Brinjal ) – 3 ( Long Purple eggplant , Cut into 18 Pieces)
2. Onion – 1 Big ( Grind Coarsely)
3. Grated ginger – 1 tbsp. and Grated Garlic – 3 Cloves
4. Roma tomatoes – 3
5. Oil – 4 to 6 tbsp.
6. Salt and Turmeric- 1/4 th tbsp.
7. Curry Leaves – 5
8. Finely chopped Coriander leaves
9. Curry Powder – 1 to 2 tbsp. ( Blend of red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic and Coriander leaves with stems)
10 . Coconut Mixture – Grind 1/4 th cup dry coconut with 2 Green chillies and salt .
1. Heat 2 tbsp. Oil and Saute coarsely grinded Onions with little salt , 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , Turmeric and Curry Leaves . Once onions are brown add grated ginger and grated garlic and fry for Couple of minutes .
2. Add diced tomatoes , 2 more tbsp. Oil and cook till it separates from Oil .
3. Once tomatoes are soft add Curry Powder and Eggplant .Mix Gently and make sure tomato masala is coated to Eggplant Pieces . If needed add 2 more tbsp. Oil .Cover with lid and cook Until eggplant( Brinjal) is soft . Mix in between to avoid burning .
4. Once Eggplant is soft ( Check with Knife) switch off the stove and add Coconut mixture . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
5. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves .
1. Pressure cook finely Chopped Snake gourd ( One) with one fourth cup water and Salt for 2 whistles on Medium high heat . When Pressure comes down transfer cooked Snake gourd to a plate ( No water will be left to drain ) and Cool it before adding to Yogurt .
2. Grind 1/4 th cup coconut with 2 green chillies and Salt .
3. Add this coconut mixture to One cup Yogurt and Cooked and Cooled snake gourd pieces and 1 tbsp. Chopped Ginger .
4 . Heat 2 tbsp. oil and splutter Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds , Broken Red chillies ( 2) and Curry Leaves . Cool the Seasoning before adding to Yogurt .
5. Add finely Chopped Coriander Leaves . Check for Salt and adjust accordingly .