Kids Lunch/ Lunch Box –
Today I’m sharing 3 Healthy and Nutritious Lunch / Lunch Box ideas from Soup to Sweet potato fries , Eggplant fritters and Vegetable Jowar Uttapham. Sometimes I let my kids plan their Lunch/ Lunch Box from the foods I buy and serve . Involving kids in choosing, planning and preparing their own Lunch helps them in trying more new foods . Encourage kids to eat Whole fruit instead of Juices along with their Breakfast / Lunch . Water and Milk are the best choices . For vegetarians, Lentils can be substitute for meat in supplying the required Protein . Protein is important for growing kids and keeps them feeling fuller for longer time along with starchy carbohydrates for energy. Make Protein part of every meal because it is not stored like fat beginning with Breakfast. Beans and Lentils are good source of Iron ; Not getting enough Iron can cause you feel weak and tired. Our bodies cannot absorb as much of the iron from plant based lentils . Try to Cook Beans and lentils with foods rich in Vitamin C can help improve absorption.
The first Lunch /Lunch Box is Mixed Beans Soup prepared with 5 main Ingredients and a special Ingredient which enhance the taste of Soup and served with Sweet Potato fries , sandwich and fruit. The second recipe I shared is Vegetable Jowar Uttapham ( fermented) with Eggplant fritters which are pan fried . Sometimes it is easy to feed Vegetables for Kids in the form of Fritters . Children need to eat a rainbow of colors in order to get sufficient Vitamins, Minerals and Phytonutrients that are present in different foods. All my three recipes have a balance of Carbohydrates, Protein and Vegetables. As I have left over Jowar batter I prepared Vegetable Jowar Pakora for day 3 Lunch and served with Fruit and Milk .
Easy to prepare Lunch / Lunch Box in less than 30 minutes.
Recipe for 3 to 4 People .
Preparation time : 10 Minutes and Cooking time : Less than 10 Minutes .
1. Mixed Beans – 1/2 cup
2. Barley – 1/4 th cup
3. Finely chopped Onions – 1/2 th cup
4. Finely chopped Bell peppers – 1/2 cup
5. Tomato – 1 diced
6. Marinara sauce – 1/4 th cup or Pizza sauce
7. Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
9. Water – 2 glasses ( 16 Ounce) or accordingly
10. Finely chopped Coriander leaves
1. Soak Beans overnight . Wash and Pressure cook with little salt , One glass Water ( 8 oz ) for 4 whistles on Medium High . . When Pressure comes down transfer Beans with water to Sauce Pan .
3. Add One glass Water , Finely chopped Onions, Finely chopped Bell pepper , diced tomatoes, Salt , Marinara sauce , Curry Powder .
4. Bring to Boil . It will take approximately 7 Minutes .
5. Switch off the stove and Check for salt and spices and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
1. Jowar flour , Urad dal flour and Rice flour – 1 /2 cup each
2. Water – 2 to 2 1/2 Cups
3. Finely chopped vegetables ( Onions , Bell Pepper and deseeded tomato) – 1/2 Cup
4. Oil – 2 tbsp. and Salt
5 . Finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
1. Mix Jowar flour , Rice flour , Urad flour , Little salt by adding water slowly . Mix well without lumps.
2. Ferment Overnight .
3 . To 2 cups of Batter add finely chopped vegetables and finely chopped Coriander leaves . Mix well .
4. Heat a Pan and Pour One Big spoonful of Batter . Drizzle Oil over the edges . Fry till it is golden Brown on both sides .
5. Serve the VEGETABLE UTTAPHAM with EGGPLANT Fritters .
EGGPLANT FRITTERS :
Mix Chickpea flour ,Rice flour , Ajwain , Curry Powder and Salt with enough water . The Batter must be thick so it will Coat the Vegetable . Dip Eggplant Pieces in the Batter and Pan fry them by closing lid . 2 to 3 Minutes on each side . Uncover and Pan fry until Golden Brown . Serve with ketchup.
Recipe for 20 to 24 Pakora’s . COOKING time : 15 Minutes
1. Mix 1 cup Jowar Dosa Batter with 1/2 cup Chickpea flour or 1/4 th Cup Chickpea flour , 1/4 th Cup Rice flour , One big Chopped Onion ,One big cup Chopped vegetables, Finely chopped Coriander Leaves . Salt , Ajwain – 1/2 tbsp. , Curry Powder – 1 tbsp. , Finely chopped Green chillies, Chopped Ginger . Mix well with a spoon ..
2. The Batter must be thick .
3. Heat a wide pan with 1 tbsp. Oil and Scoop big spoonful of Batter or with hand and place in the Warm Pan . Drizzle Oil on each Pakora. Close the lid and Cook for 3 minutes on medium Heat .
4. Flip and fry Until Brown on both sides without lid. When flipping press each pakora with Saptula , so they will be Crispy when done.
5. Repeat with remaining Batter .
NOTE: If the Pan is wide enough you can Cook 10 Pakora’s at a time in 2 Batches . SERVE with Ketchup.