Have hard time in feeding Kids ,vegetables like Bitter Gourd( Karela) . I discovered a Simple way to get Kids eat their Veggies. They are more likely to eat their Vegetable portion when it is paired with their favorite food . Provide small to moderate portion till they get used to the Vegetable . Sooner or later you will reap rewards on good nutrition . The whole recipe needs 2 tbsp. Oil . Kids lunch Box idea too . I shared a Soaking tip which reduces the bitterness of Karela and Pan fried instead of deep frying. Next time when you Cook Karela , try this recipe with Your Kids. They will eat without a complaint . They will notice some thing bitter, sour but Tasty .
Coat Karela pieces with Salt and Soak Karela ( bitter gourd ) Pieces in Butter milk , Tamarind extract and Jaggery for One Hour . Mix in between so the vegetable marinate evenly. This soaking will reduce the bitterness and softens Bitter Gourd. After One hour Discard the marinade liquid . Heat Oil in a wide Pan and Place the Karela pieces in a single Layer . Cook for 3 minutes on each side with lid covered . Once light Brown uncover and Cook till light Brown .
TASTE TEST . Still Bitter sprinkle some salt and Squeeze JUICE OF LIME. I added only 1/2 Cup of cooked Karela . If your kids like the bitterness you can increase the vegetable to One cup next time when cook the Kebabs.
Recipe for 6 Kebab’s and filling for 10 medium patties .
Preparation time : 15 Minutes and Cooking time : 15 minutes
1. Whole wheat or Whole grain Bread slices – 6
2. Onion – 1 ( Chopped)
3. Bell Pepper – 1 ( Chopped)
4. Cooked and Mashed Potato – 1 Big
5. Cooked Beans ( Chickpeas or any other Beans) – 1 Cup Mashed ( Use Potato Masher or Place in a Small Ziplock Bag and Mash with the help of a rolling Pin)
6. Pan fried Karela ( Bitter Gourd ) – 1 Cup or more chopped
7. Salt and Turmeric- 1/4 th tbsp.
8. Curry Powder – 1 tbsp. ( Combination of red chilli powder , coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic cloves and Coriander leaves with stem)
9. Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
10 . Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil and Saute Onions and Bell pepper with 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds , Turmeric and Salt . Once Onions are brown, Switch off the stove and transfer to a Bowl.
2. To this add Mashed Potato , Pan fried and Chopped Karela , Cooked and Mashed Beans , Curry powder and finely Chopped Coriander Leaves .Mix well . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .
3. Divide the mixture into 10 equal Portions .
4. Grease your hands with little Oil and shape them like Patties .
5. Remove the crust of Bread and Sprinkle some water . Place between your hands and press so the Bread slices will be stretched a little bit .