Dahi Aloo ( Potato in yogurt gravy ) is a comforting, quick , Simple side dish for Lunch / Dinner . Served with Phulka or Plain Paratha or Cumin rice or Vegetable rice. My recipe is simple 5 step Preparation( Cooking Potato’s , Grinding Onions Coarsely , Grinding tomato with Spices and Roasting spices and Mixing in Yogurt and cooking all together ) . It doesn’t take much time for preparing and Cooking. Check the recipe how to Cook without Curdling. I didn’t add any flour . Adding tomato Puree gives taste and Color for the Curry . I added Home made Curry Powder ( Blend of Red chilli Powder, Coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic cloves and Coriander Leaves ) and Phav Bhaji Masala . Adjust spices according to your taste . Don’t Skip Curry Powder and Phav bhaji masala. Cooked Potatoes are low in calories , fat and high in fiber. You will increase Calories if you deep fry or add butter . Good source of B vitamin complex which help body convert protein , fat and Carbohydrates into energy . If you are concerned about Sodium intake , Potatoes are low in sodium choice. But be careful what you serve with them . Eat in moderation . Source : Health Magazines
Simple and easy recipe you can prepare easily for any meal.
Recipe for 3 People . Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes
1. Potatoes – 2 Big ( Peel the Skin of the Potato . Dice and Microwave for 6 Minutes)
2. Tomatoes – 2 ( Grind with 1/2 tbsp. Curry powder , 1/2 tbsp. Pav Bhaji masala and little Salt and 1/4 th Cup Water )
3. Onion – 1 Medium ( Grind Coarsely with 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds)
4. Yogurt – 1/2 Cup ( Mix with Almond spice Powder , 1/2 tbsp. Curry powder and 1/4 th Cup water)
5. Water – 1/2 Cup or accordingly
6. SPICE POWDER – Dry roast 10 Cashews , 5 Almonds with 1 tbsp. cumin seeds , 1 tbsp. Coriander seeds and 1 Red chilli or 5 Almonds, 5 Walnuts , 5 Cashews , 1 tbsp. coriander and cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp. fenugreek seeds and One red chilli.
7. Oil – 2 tbsp. ( 1 tbsp. for pan frying Potatoes and 1 tbsp. for Cooking Gravy)
8. Finely chopped Coriander Leaves .
Note : curry powder is a Blend of Red chilli powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic and fresh Coriander .
1. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and Saute Coarsely grinded Onions with 1/4 th tbsp. Turmeric Powder .
2. Once Onions are brown add Tomato Puree and cook for 7 to 10 Minutes on Medium / Medium high flame or until you see Bubbles .
3. Once tomatoes are cooked add Yogurt ( Curd) mixture . Mix well . If needed add Water accordingly. Add Pan fried Potatoes and Cook for 4 to 5 Minutes on Medium flame .
4. After 5 Minutes switch off the flame .
5. Check for salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves .