I like to include Spinach in our everyday diet whether it is Dal , Rasam or Curry . As a South Indian we eat Yogurt( curd) at the end of the meal and prepare Khadi once in a week as my kids like any thing with Yogurt. So thought of trying Spinach with Yogurt . Instead of Pureeing Spinach I just cooked it for Couple of minutes and added to the yogurt gravy ; it looks like herbs in the gravy and my kids didn’t noticed it . I added Chickpea flour and rice flour for thickening and Yogurt won’t be curdled when cooked . If you don’t like to add rice flour you can skip and add Chickpea flour( Besan ) . My recipe is different as I added Pan fried potatoes , seasoned with Curry powder and added at the end after switching off the stove so they will be crispy and wont be too soft . Add tomatoes after switching off the stove.They will get cooked with the heat , so they can hold the shape and you can taste the entire tomato . Season with Ghee , Hing and Curry leaves will add nice aroma and enhances the taste. Add Chopped Green chillies and Ginger at the end( so it won’t be spicy for Kids ). Try this out and it will be regular on your menu . You can make use of the big bag of Spinach and Kids will eat their fair share without Complaining.
Recipe for 3 people .
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 15 minutesI
- Spinach – 5 big handfuls( Chopped)
2 . Big potato – 1 ( Peel the skin and dice into bite size pieces)
3. Roma tomato – 1 ( diced)
4. Yogurt ( Curd) – 1 cup ( Measuring cup)
5. Water – 2 cups ( Measuring Cup)
6. Curry Powder – 1/2 to mix in Curd ( Yogurt) + 1/2 tbsp. to Season the pan fried Potatoes ( Blend of red chilli powder , Coriander , cumin powder , garlic and coriander leaves)
7. Chickpea flour(Besan) – 1 1/2 tbsp.
8. Rice flour – 1 1/2 tbsp.
9. Oil – 2 tbsp. and Ghee – 1 tbsp.
10. Tadka ( Seasoning ) – Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds and red chillies and Curry leaves .
11. Chopped Green chillies – 2 and Ginger – 2 tbsp.
METHOD:1.Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and fry Potatoes with little Salt and Cumin seeds . Once potatoes are brown . Add 1/2 tbsp. Curry Powder . Mix well and transfer to a bowl .
2. While Potatoes are cooking Mix Chickpea flour ( Besan ), rice flour , Curry Powder , Salt and 1 measuring cup water in yogurt.
3. . In the same pan cook finely chopped Spinach for couple of minutes uncovered . Then add Yogurt mixture . Add One more cup water . Mix well . Cook for 5 minutes . Stir in between to avoid burning .
4. After 5 minutes add diced tomatoes , fried potato and switch off the stove .
5. Heat 1 tbsp. Oil and 1 tbsp. ghee and splutter Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds and red chillies and Curry leaves . Add this tadka( seasoning ) to the Yogurt mixture . Check for salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . Add chopped green chillies and Chopped ginger at last , so it wont be spicy for Kids .