Ganesh chaturthi is the Hindu festival celebrated in the honor of Lord Ganesha . At home an approximately sized Clay image is installed and worshipped with family and friends. The festival is observed in the Hindu calendar month of Bhaadrapada starting on the Shukla Chaturthi ( fourth day of the working moon Period) Ganesh Chaturthi is a very auspicious day celebrated to pray to the god so that every activity that is started is successfully competed without any obstacles. The festival generally lasts 10 days ending on the fourteen day of the fortnight . At the end of the festival , the idols are immersed in a large body of water such as Sea , river or Lake . The Clay idols disintegrate over time in Water . Source : Google .
Poornam Boorelu is a traditional festival delicacy in South India prepared during Festival times . These Sweet and Savory Dumplings with Mango rava rice are offered to God as Naivedam .
Enjoy these FESTIVAL RECIPES any time of the year with less work by preparing them day before . Grind the Dosa Batter , Prepare Sweet Dumplings and refrigerate . Shallow fry them before you offer to God . Grind rice rava or store bought Rice rava. Cook Day before and refrigerate . If your Sweet dumplings mixture is runny after adding Jaggery , Cook in a Sauce Pan by adding 2 tbsp. Ghee on Medium High heat . Stir continuously till it forms a Ball . Take a small portion and try to shape it like a Ball . If you are able to shape then your Mixture is ready . Grease your hands with Oil and shape them like Balls . The rest DOSA batter can be used to Prepare Savory dumplings .
1. Rice rava – 1 Cup
2. Water – 2 Cups
3. Grated Raw mango – 1/2 Cup
4. Oil – 3 to 5 tbsp.
5. Salt and turmeric – 1/4 th Tbsp
6. Green Chillies – 4 or Chopped Green Chillies – 2
7. Seasoning ( Tadka) – Channa Dal – Handful , Cashews – Handful , Urad Dal – 1 tbsp. , Cumin seeds and mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. , Red chillies – 2 , Hing – Pinch
1. Wash Rice rava 3 to 4 times . Add 2 cups Water , little salt and 2 tbsp. Oil . I cooked in Rice Cooker . or alternatively bring 2 cups water to Boil and add little Salt , 2 tbsp. Oil and add rava slowly . Mix to avoid lumps .
2 . Once cooked Cool on a wide Plate .
3. Heat Oil and add Channa Dal , Cashews followed by Urad dal , Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds, Red chillies , Turmeric , Hing and Curry Leaves .
4. Switch off the stove and add Cooked and Cooled rice rava and mix gently so all the seasoning is well coated to rice rava . Add grated Mango . Mix gently .
5. Wait 10 minutes before you serve .
1. Channa Dal – 1 Cup 2. Jaggery – 1 cup 3. Water – 1/4 th Cup 4. Cardamom – 3 .
Soak Channa dal for an Hour . Wash 3 to 4 times . Add 1/4 th Cup Water and Pressure cook for 3 to 4 Whistles . When Pressure comes down , transfer the Dal to a Bowl and Mash it . Add Powdered Jaggery and Cardamom . Mix well .
Divide the batter into 10 equal Portions , grease your hands with little Oil and shape them like balls .
OUTER COVERING :
DOSA BATTER : 1. Urad dal – 1 cup 2 . Long Grain Rice – 2 Cups 3. Fenu greek seeds .
Soak Dal and Rice with fenugreek seeds for 3 to 4 Hours . Grind with water . The batter must be thick . Ferment Overnight or you can use without fermenting if you don’t have time to ferment .
1. Heat 1 Cup or little more OIL for Shallow frying .
2 . Dip the Sweet Dumplings into Dosa Batter . Make sure it is coated well with Dosa Batter .
3. When the Oil is warm enough drop the dumplings into warm Oil slowly . Cook on Medium High Heat till brown on both sides .
4. Transfer them to Plate lined with Paper towel to absorb excess Oil .
5. Serve warm .
Mix Chopped Green chillies or Green Chilli Paste or Sambar Powder to Left over Dosa batter . If needed you can add APF flour . Shape them like round balls and shallow fry them.