Gongura ( In Andhra ) is popular in some states. In Marathi it is called Ambaadi, Pitwaa in Hindi , Kenaf in English . We love Gongura because of its tanginess and Health Benefits. I cook atleast Once a week when it is available in Summer. Already shared 2 recipes . This is the third recipe I’m sharing ( Gongura Pickle) .Gongura comes in 2 Varieties. Green and Red . The red variety is more sour than green . Good Source of Iron. We can prepare Curry ( Short shelf life for 2 to 3 days if refrigerated ) and Pickles which lasts for months.
To balance the tanginess of gongura I added lentil Spice powder . It not only adds body , but adds flavor and taste too. Simple recipe with 1 2 3 step Cooking. Wash leaves 4 to 5 times and air dry if you want to store for months. If you try One Bunch then no need to air dry just chop finely and sauté without lid . No need to grind in the Blender too. I added One – fourth Cup Oil to keep Pickle moist. Onions add Crunchiness to the Pickle and absorbs the tanginess from the leaves and taste good with Crunchy bite. Seasoning( Tadka ) is must with Hing , Garlic and dals .
Serve with Steamed Rice and Ghee or Oil . For younger Kids mix with steamed rice and tomato Dal . My eldest Daughter said, ” Taste better than any other leafy vegetable that I ever tasted” . Gongura known as sorrel Leaves in English .
Pulicha Keerai in Tamil , Pandi in Kannada , Pitwa in Hindi . Summer is the only time we get this vegetable . The Pickle can last for weeks if refrigerated . We finished in 2 days as everybody in my family likes the Pickle as it is kid friendly recipe . I added Red Chillies and Curry Powder . Adjust the Spices according to your taste. Simple to make and delicious in taste .
1. Gongura – 1 Bunch
2. Onion – 1 small ( Finely chopped)
3. Garlic cloves – 6 ( Chopped)
4. Channa Dal and Urad dal – Handful each and Sesame seeds – 2 to 3 tbsp
5. Coriander and Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. each
6. Fenu greek Powder – 1 tbsp.
7. Coarsely grind Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp.
8. Red chillies – 4 to 6
9. Curry powder – 1 to 2 tbsp. ( Blend of Red chilli Powder , Coriander and Cumin Powder , Garlic Cloves and Coriander leaves with stems) or RED CHILLI POWDER
10 . Oil – 1/4 th Cup 11. Salt as per taste and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp. , Hing – pinch 11. Tadka ( Seasoning) – Urad dal , Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. each and Red chillies – 2
11. Tamarind Paste – 2 tbsp.( Optional)
1. Pluck leaves of Gongura . Wash 4 to 5 times . Drain out all Water and air dry for an hour or two or You can cook without air drying if you try with One Bunch of Gongura Leaves .
2. Dry roast Urad dal , Channa Dal , Red chillies , Sesame seeds ,Coriander and Cumin seeds . Cool the Spices and grind into a fine Powder . Transfer to a Bowl .
3. Finely chop Gongura leaves and Cook in a sauce Pan with 2 tbsp. Oil . Uncover and Cook . Stir in between to avoid burning.
4. Once Cooked , switch off the stove and add Salt , Turmeric , grind Spice Powder , Curry Powder, Fenugreek Powder , Coarsely grinded Mustard seeds . Mix well
5. Heat 1/4 th Cup Oil and add Urad dal followed by Cumin seeds , Mustard seeds , red chillies , hing and chopped Garlic . Add this tadka ( Seasoning ) to gongura Pickle along with Chopped Onions . Mix well . Check for Spices and Salt and adjust accordingly .