Coconut Red rice Poha is a very simple recipe which doesn’t require any Cooking of rice . Just wash Poha 3 to 4 times and leave aside for 10 Minutes and finish all the Chopping and, grating Vegetables. Gather all your spices and Seasoning. If you want to pack for Kids Lunch Box, chop and grate Vegetables the day before and refrigerate. It is light recipe for Breakfast/ Lunch / dinner. When compared to white Poha flakes Red rice Poha has more Iron content( Contains 20 grams of Iron in every 100 grams raw rice flakes ) and it is a Whole grain including the germ , barn and endosperm . Squeeze Juice of Lime for Iron absorption . Add vegetables to make it a complete meal and Peanuts for Protein . Red rice Poha is considered as a great meal option for Diabetics as it promotes slow release of sugar into blood stream. Cabbage is a good source of Vitamin E . It keeps the skin , eyes and Hair healthy . Promotes good eye health and delay the cataract formation. Good source of minerals like Calcium . Magnesium and Potassium , the three essential minerals which helps in osteoporosis. Peanuts not only add crunch and Protein but frequent nut consumption is related to reduced risk of cardiovascular disease .The combination of vegetables with peanuts , Sweetness from Coconut , Spicy touch from Green chillies and ginger is a luscious combination and can be prepared in very little time . The goodness about this recipe is that it will take time to chew and you will be satisfied eating it as a meal . Source : HM
Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 15 minutes and Cooking time : 15 minutes
1. Red Rice Poha ( Flattened Rice) – 1 Measuring Cup
2. Finely Chopped Cabbage – 2 Measuring Cups and Chopped Green Beans – 1 Cup
3. Grated Baby Carrots – 20
4. Roasted Peanuts – 2 Handfuls or Whole Green Moong Sprouts – 1/2 Cup
5. Dry or Fresh Coconut – Handful
6. Chopped Green Chillies – 3 ( Mild Spicy)
7. Ginger – 3 tbsp.( Chopped)
8. Curry Leaves and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
10 . Oil – 2 tbsp
11. Seasoning – Channa Dal – 2 tbsp. , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp. , Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
12. Juice of Lime – Half
1. Wash Flattened rice( Poha) 3 to 4 times and keep aside for 10 minutes .
2. Heat Oil and fry Channa Dal . When Channa Dal is half fried add Mustard seeds , Cumin seeds followed by finely chopped Cabbage and Green Beans ( Green Moong Sprouts or roasted Peanuts) .
3 . Don’t season the Vegetables with Salt . Cook Uncovered , so they will be little crunchy.
4. Once Cabbage is Cooked , Switch off the stove and add flattened rice( Poha) , roasted Peanuts , Coconut , Chopped Green chillies , Ginger , Curry Leaves , Grated Carrot . Season with Salt .
5. Mix gently . Add One more tbsp. Oilif needed . Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly . Garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves . Squeeze Juice of Lime .
Note : If you want to add Sprouts instead of Roasted Peanuts , Saute along with Cabbage and Green Beans or if you like the sweet taste of sprouted Green moong add at the end and no need to cook.