Recipe for 3 People .
Preparation time : 10 Minutes and Cooking time : 10 Minutes
Rasam is a South Indian soup prepared with Dal or without Dal , store bought or Home made Rasam powder with tamarind or without tamarind . It is served with Steamed rice or Idli or Dosa . No South Indian meal is complete without Rasam or Sambar . There are various versions. Today I’m sharing Spinach Lemon rasam prepared with 3 Dals and Home made rasam powder. Lemon and tamarind add sourness . It is good when you have cold , Cough and Changing temperatures ( Open the nasal passages and soothes sore throat) . The aroma from boiling rasam will spike your Hunger Pangs and your kitchen will be filled with aroma ; you feel like drinking it like a soup. It is easy to fix quick Lunch /dinner if you do preparation ahead of time and refrigerate.Bring to boil before you serve . I served rasam with Idli sticks( Idli is a steamed dumpling prepared with Soaked Dal and Rice , fermented and steamed ) . I cut the Idli’s lenght wise and Pan fried for crispiness because my Kids always except different presentation of food . Do try , it is a Simple recipe with few ingredients.
Cooking tips for Quick Lunch/ Dinner or Kids Lunch Box : You can prepare both in Less than 15 minutes. Just follow My cooking tips.
1. Soak dals ( Urad dal – 1 cup and Brown Basmati Rice – 1 cup) for 2 hours , grind and ferment Overnight . Prepare Idli’s Day before and refrigerate . Pan fry before you serve.
2. Cook dals and grind with spice Powder . To this add sufficient water,Salt, Turmeric , Chopped Onions, tomatoes ,Spinach , curry Leaves and corinader Leaves and refrigerate .
3. Bring to Boil before you pack or serve.
4. Use Home made Rasam Powder for Ultimate taste .
1. Cooked Dal – 1/2 Cup ( Toor Dal, Channa Dal and Moong Dal )
2. Water – 2 Measuring cups or add accordingly
3. Tomatoes – 2 ( Chopped ) and Chopped Spinach – 2 Big Handfuls
4. Finely chopped Onion – 1 Medium
5. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp.
6. Curry Powder – 1/2 tbsp.
7. Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves and Curry Leaves
8. Oil – 1 tbsp. and Ghee – 1/2 tbsp.
9. Seasoning – Urad dal , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp. , Hing – Pinch , Broken Red chillies – 2
10 . Ginger – 2 tbsp. ( Chopped)
11. Rasam Powder – Dry Roast 2 tbsp. Channa Dal , 1 tbsp. Cumin and Coriander seeds each , Fenu greek seeds – 1/2 tbsp. , Black Peppercons – 5, Red chilli – 1 . Cool the spices and grind with 2 tbsp Coconut ,tamarind and 2 Cloves of Garlic, small piece of ginger .
12 . Juice of Lime – Half .
1. Grind Dal with Spice Powder and One Measuring Cup Water.
2. Heat Oil and Splutter Mustard seeds, followed by Urad dal, Cumin seeds, red chillies , Hing and Curry Leaves.
3. Add dal spice powder water , One More cup water , salt , Turmeric , Curry Powder, Finely Chopped Onions, Spinach and Tomatoes .Bring to boil .
4. Once it comes to boil , Switch off the stove, Wait for a while and Squeeze Juice of Lime , add chopped Ginger and Corinader Leaves . Add 1/2 tbsp ghee .
5. Check for Salt and Spices and adjust accordingly .