Recipe for 4 to 6 People .
Preparation and Cooking time : 30 Minutes
If you want to spend time with your Kids in the evening with their homework or after school activities , prepare this Chutney and refrigerate . I served with Dosa ( Lentils and Daliya or Lentils and Quinoa or Lentils and Rice) . Stays good for 2 to 3 days and there is no change in taste after 3 days. Sometimes I like to take off cooking Heavy meals during Dinner or Weekend Lunch and prepare these types off Chutney and Serve with Steamed Idli or Lentils Dosa .Good to make use of Left over Vegetables, as I always have some Leftover carrots , Eggplant, Semi riped tomatoes, Green Squash . Thought I will Prepare a Chutney with Vegetables instead of Coconut chutney for Dosa. Star Ingredient for the recipe is the Spice Powder I prepared with Nuts and seeds. Trying to sneak some nuts in Kids diet. Chutney will taste good with Sourness and Crunchiness from Onions and Channa dal from Seasoning. Once you try this recipe , you will definitely prepare every week with these vegetables instead of Coconut chutney. Use as a spread for SANDWICH or WRAPS or serve with STEAMED RICE or Plain PARATHA ( Indian Bread) or with Steamed IDLI or DOSA .
Note : Don’t skip Spice Powder, Tamarind, Lime juice and Onions.
1. Green Squash ( Lauki) – 1
2. Semi riped tomatoes – 2
3. Baby Carrots – 15 ( Grated)
4. Eggplant ( Brinjal) – 1
5. Green Chillies – 2 ( Mild spicy)
6. Juice of Lime – 1 Medium
7. Curry leaves and Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
8. Oil – 1 and 2 tbsp
9. Salt and Turmeric – 1/4 th tbsp
10 . Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
11. Seasoning – Channa Dal – Handful , Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp , Red chillies – 2 , Hing – Pinch
12. Chopped Onions – 1/2 cup
13. SPICE POWDER : Dry roast 5 Almonds , 5 Walnuts , 2 tbsp Sesame seeds, 2 tbsp Channa Dal, 1 tbsp Coriander and Cumin seeds each , Red chilli – 1. Cool the spices and grind with Marble size Tamarind and 5 Curry Leaves .
1. Peel the skin of Green squash ( Lauki) and cut into small pieces . Chop Brinjal, Tomato and Grate Baby carrots.
2. Heat 1 tbsp Oil and cook the Vegetables on Medium High flame . Season with salt, Turmeric Powder and 1 tbsp Cumin seeds. Mix in between to avoid burning. Cover with lid and Cook .
3. Once vegetables are soft , Switch off the stove and Cool before grinding.
4. Once vegetables are cooled, Grind coarsely and transfer to Spice Powder Bowl and Mix well .
5. Heat 2 to 3 tbsp Oil and fry Channa Dal, followed by Mustard seeds , Urad dal , Cumin seeds, red chillies , Hing , Curry Leaves .
6. Add the Coarsely grinded Chutney , Chopped Onions and fry for 3 to 4 Minutes to dry out Chutney .
7. Switch off the stove and squeeze Juice of the Lime and finely chopped Coriander Leaves . Check for Salt and Spices and add accordingly .