Kichidi is a Whole some and hearty meal packed with nutrients and not loaded with spices . Perfect balance of Carbohydrates , Protein, dietary fiber from Vegetables which enhances its nutritional Value. Is served with Yogurt raita ( Yogurt with Vegetables) .Yogurt not only soothes the Intestines , the extra bacteria or Probiotics added to Yogurt will boost digestive Health . Regular eating of Yogurt with Calcium and Vitamin D will reduce the risk of Osteoporosis a bone weaking disease which leads to fractures . Vitamin D is needed to absorb Calcium and some Yogurts are fortified with Vitamin D.Cucumber , not only good source of fiber , but rich in Vitamin K found in the peel of Cucumber which is responsible for making some of the Protein the liver requires for Blood Clotting . It not only flushes out toxins but keeps you hydrated ( It contains 96 percent water). A large Cucumber contain 100 Calories and 150 gm of Potassium – a diet rich in Potassium protects you from High Blood pressure . Source : Health Magazines.
Kids will definitely like this combination of Dinner. I didnt ‘t add any Masala as it is going to be strong for Kids. Instead I added Whole garam masala to warm Oil and added to Rice which flavors the Khichidi. For me Cooking Tomato Kichidi in Rice cooker is easy , by the time rice is cooked I Prepared Yogurt Raita , Salad and Pan fried the Cauliflower florets . So it took 30 minutes to Prepare the Whole Dinner. Does it sound good . I’m so Happy my kids liked this combination of food for Dinner . Do try and share your feedback by commenting in Comments section.
It is a Classic Dinner that will please everyone in your family . You will Save time and flavor with this Healthy dinner which you can prepare in less than 30 minutes. Here are my Cooking tips to prepare Dinner under 30 Minutes .
Cooking Tips :
1. Wash Cauliflower . Cut into Half for fast Cooking and refrigerate in a Ziplock lined with Paper towel . Mix Chickpea flour , Spices with enough Water and refrigerate .
2. Measure rice and Yellow Moong Dal . Gather Whole Garam Masala and store in Separate boxes . Chop tomatoes and refrigerate.
3. Prepare Yogurt raita in advance and refrigerate .
4. Chop Vegetables for salad and refrigerate . Season with Salt and Herbs before you serve.
Recipe for 4 :
RECIPE FOR TOMATO KHICHIDI in RICE COOKER :
1 . Brown or White Basmati Rice – 1 cup and Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup.
2. Tomatoes – 3 ( Chopped )
3. Grated Ginger and Garlic – 1 tbsp
5. Water – 2 Cups
6. Oil – 3 tbsp and Ghee – 1 tbsp
7. Finely Chopped Coriander and Mint Leaves – 1/2 cup
8. Whole Garam Masala – Bay leaf – 1 , Cardamom – 2 , Cloves – 5 , Cinnamom stick – small piece , Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
1. Soak Basmati rice and Yellow Moong dal for 15 minutes . Wash 2 to 3 times and add 2 Cups Water for 1 Cup rice. Transfer to rice Cooker vessel. Season with salt and check water Whether salt is sufficient. Adjust accordingly .
2. Heat Oil and add Whole Garam Masala ( Bay leaf , Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon stick and Cumin seeds), Grated ginger and Garlic too.
3. Add this Oil to Washed rice and Moong dal . Add chopped Tomatoes, Chopped Coriander and Mint leaves .
4. Place the Vessel in rice cooker and switch on to Cook .
5. It will take 15 to 20 Minutes. Once cooked remove the vessel to avoid Burning at the bottom. Mix gently and SERVE with YOGURT RAITA.
Add finely Chopped Onion( 1/4 th Cup ) , Tomato ( 1 chopped) , , Chopped Green chillies ( 2 ) , Grated ginger- 1 tbsp , Finely Chopped Coriander leaves to 2 Measuring Cups Yogurt( Curd) . Season with salt . Heat 1 tbsp OIL and add 1 tbsp Cumin seeds . Cool the seasoning and add to the Yogurt mixture.
1. Wash Cauliflower florets and Cut in half for fast Cooking.
3. The Batter must be thick to Coat the Cauliflower florets .
6. Check with Knife whether they are cooked . Uncover and fry till Golden Brown .
RECIPE FOR CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD:
Chop One salad Cucumber, Small Onion , One Roma Tomato . Season with Salt , Black pepper and Italian Seasoning . Squeeze Juice of Lime and finely chopped Coriander Leaves . This Salad is a perfect combination for Cauliflower florets.