Cauliflower Idli – Steamed and Instant
Preparing Breakfast and Lunch Box should not be tedious and Stressful . I always keep on trying new recipes with Pantry staples , not complicated , approved by Kids and can whip up a meal quickly . Happy to see their faces light up when ever I serve a new Breakfast or Pack for Lunch Box .Cauliflower Idli is a Simple and easy Breakfast recipe or for Kids Lunch Box, prepared with 5 Main Ingredients. These Idli’s taste good at room temperature. Kids have different preferences; Some like soft foods others like Crispy One’s . After you steam the Idli’s ,you can pan fry with little Oil (if your kids like Crispy Idli’s) . I added a good amount of Cauliflower for nutrition and taste.
I will be One Happy Mommy if Kids eat BREAKFAST without fuss and bring their LUNCH BOX empty and like to try more and more Breakfast and Lunch box recipes . It will be a motivation for all moms right when kids bring empty Lunch Box. Last week we bought a Cauliflower from the Farmer’s market which has very Big florets . Instead of using this in curries, I thought I will try something new for Breakfast and Kids Lunch Box. I Chopped 2 Big Cauliflower florets ( 2 Measuring Cups) finely and Mixed with FLOUR , OATS and Beans for Protein .
Add some Spices like Mild Green Chillies and Chopped Ginger . Green Chillies and Ginger works good for Steamed Idli’s . Y ou can use a Mortar and Pestle for rough chop if your Kids don’t like the Bite of Green chillies and Ginger . But make sure you add Green Chillies , Ginger and Cumin seeds . They bring out flavor in Idli’s when Steamed. I always keep Cooked Beans in refrigerator so it will come in handy for me to add to any recipes. Sharing some Cooking tips which help you to prepare Breakfast/ Lunch Box in less time.
COOKING TIPS :
1. Mix Rice flour and Oats with Cumin seeds and salt . Store in a Box.
2. Wash cauliflower florets and Finely chop and store in refrigerator .
3. Cook Beans and refrigerate . Chop Green chillies and Ginger with little salt in Mortar and Pestle and refrigerate.
4. Prepare Spinach rasam day before and refrigerate and bring to Boil in the Morning .
5. Prepare Onion and Cucumber Pickle and refrigerate . This Pickle stays good for a week and comes in Handy to Pack for Kids Lunch Box and goes well with Steamed Cauliflower Idli’s .
Recipe for 12 Steamed Idli’s and 5 Pan fried with 1/2 tbsp Oil .
Preparation time : 10 to 15 minutes Steaming time : 13 minutes
2 . Oats – 1/2 Cup
3. Cooked Yellow Peas or frozen peas or CORN – 1 Measuring Cup ( Mash Partially not total) . I used cooked Yellow peas .
Use this chopper to chop cauliflower and carrots . You can steam , Pan fry or in Paniyaram Pan .
5. Green Chillies – 2 Chopped ( Mild Spicy ) or Green chilli Paste
6. Ginger – Small Piece ( Chopped)
7. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
9. Water – One Measuring Cup
10 . Oil – 2 tbsp to mix in flour and 1/2 tbsp to Grease Idli Plates .
1. Mix rice flour, Oats , Partially mashed Yellow Peas , Finely Chopped Cauliflower , Salt , cumin seeds, Salt , Finely Chopped Green chillies, Ginger by adding Warm water slowly . The dough should look like as shown in the Picture to shape the balls .
4. When Pressure comes down ( Say after 10 minutes) remove the Idli Plates from Pressure Cooker . Remove Idli’s with wet Steel spoon .
5. SERVE with SPINACH RASAM and Pickled Onion and Cucumber .
They taste good without any dip or Chutney . PANFRIED : I have some dough left over so i pan fried with 1/2 tbsp Oil uncovered . It took 5 minutes to Pan fry and cooked Perfectly . They are Crispy and tasty.